Growatt charging from grid or solar problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radiotowers

Reaction score
I have growatt SPH5000 and a 6.5kWh battery, today I set the system to charge mid afternoon to boost the battery before the evening Octopus Agile peak..
Ive being doing this most of December.
The issue I have, some days it will charge at 2.99 kW for the time allotted, but today it was ticking along at 0.45kW for most of the charge and it seems to do this quite often. The solar was only supplying around 0.03 kW at the time.
The charge rate and battery capacity both still set to 100%.
Overnight it will charge at 2.99 kW with no issues.
I believe this may be an issue with the hybrid inverter perhaps software.?

Split from hi-jacked thread

Last edited by a moderator:
I have growatt SPH5000 and a 6.5kWh battery, today I set the system to charge mid afternoon to boost the battery before the evening Octopus Agile peak..
Ive being doing this most of December.
The issue I have, some days it will charge at 2.99 kW for the time allotted, but today it was ticking along at 0.45kW for most of the charge and it seems to do this quite often. The solar was only supplying around 0.03 kW at the time.
The charge rate and battery capacity both still set to 100%.
Overnight it will charge at 2.99 kW with no issues.
I believe this may be an issue with the hybrid inverter perhaps software.?
I have an SPH6000 with this exact problem.

You will find if you monitor the performance of your inverter that at around sunrise and around sunset that you will be importing from the grid no matter how much charge you have left in the battery. Growatt say the inverter is going through a self test and calibration routine, I think thats ******** myself but that's their line on this issue. I have also noticed the same issue when charging during daylight hours, if it's around the light level that sunrise or sunset would give, the inverter only charges the battery at 6 to 800w. I did find lowering the charge rate % to 91 gave a good increase in charge rate. If I charge earlier in the day (brighter light level) or after dark I do get consistently 2.99 kW charge.

I

I was thinking of internal temperatures. Just thought I would mention it because people don't consider it.
I understand, just from my experience with Growatt this phenomenon happens just after sunrise and just before sunset type levels of light. It's bloody annoying and I have struggled when one of the saving sessions was announced to get my Growatt battery charged before the session, in the end I went up in the loft and switched the panels off which resulted in an instant change to 3 kW charge rate.