Bloody Recession

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Working in my aunts house fitting a new 2 way c/u in the pantry for the outside security lights and the outdsoor shed and pond/greennhouse electrics, and on came the news on bbc 1 or 2

''The UK IS NOW IN A DEEP RECESSION''

is the news flash that came across the screen, X( :_| :_|X( X(

couldnt you just murder the news reporters at the moment

I mean they keep on bleating on about this recession and its killing my business, work load wise.

i have had 2 phone calls from jpobs to be loooked at in the past week, :eek: the news shouting about it is not helping matters at all.

:( i am sick the back teeth about hearing we are in a deep recession dont know about anyone else how they feel about the media.

Do you ever think the media have "talked" us into a depression. Granted the banks over the big pond might of started the ball rolling. As usual the "expert's" are spreading doom and gloom.

Can anyone please answer this question.......If all these expert's have seen it coming and can make it go away why don't they? this apply's especially to the "opposition" parties, who promise all because they have all said they know how to fix it(unless they had the opportunity of course).X(X(X(X(X(Guiness DrinkX(X(X(X(X(X(Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink

i couldnt agree more, how can people have confidence in the banks, economy, housing market with the media say this crap all the time. No wonder so many people are not spending money!

Cant they focus on what is being done to sort it out rather than, how far we are in the sh*t. i dont think we should bury our heads in the sand, but i do believe in having a positive attitude towards things!

What I propose is that the government, rather than chucking good money after bad at the banks, should just say

"we'll pay up all domestic (non-business) mortgages upto the value of 200K"

But only for UK citizens & only on the property you are living in.

People would get out spending then wouldnt they.

Had a shock from Barclays today......went in to have this meeting about concilidating all debts (not that I have that much) into one new loan.....

Personal banker ----"Yes I can authorise a loan to you, you see we are lending money. As we are now a responcible lender I do have to point out that the interest for the loan over a 5 year period will be (cough Cough) 24.9%"

Me -----(I'm afraid the following just slipped out) How ****ing much, what happened to the intrest rate cuts...did they just pass Barclays by?

Them---- "No the lower interest rate is aimed at mortgages & business loans"

Me--so joe public on a personal loan are keeping the profits going for you by paying through the nose. Thanks for the loan offer but no thank you....By the way I'm not happy with the charges you are levying on my business account, so I'm off to Abbey.

Them--"between you and me we are loosing a lot of small businesses to the Abbey, free banking is killing us."

I am absolutely convinced the whole problem is down to the media. Daft thing is the interest rate cut hasn't helped many people with tracker mortgages as they don't go below 3% and it hits savers.

When the interest rates are low the bank makes less money when it invests your money (how they survive) so it hits them harder.

I am in the enviable position of having a secure job (as far as I know) so I have no more or less money than I had 6mths ago. I have a little in savings that's doing nothing for me

I am cross and do feel for all of you struggling.

Most of the mess is down to the greedy city ....er's who gambled with other peoples money hoping to take the winnings... Well they lost our money and now we are being robbed again to bail them out. In the USA the're being arrested investigated & banged up in jail for what they done. WTF is our government doing? What Nick Leeson got up to is small beer compared to what the banks have been up to. Seen any top brass being dragged handcuffed into court recently? Nope, me neither.

Me & Mrs special have been sick of the crap reporting on the media for many years now...

You don't get any informative journalism..

just every news channel trying to outdo every other news channel with the biggest scoop of bad news they can find!

As for the financial & banking world..

I think the hints were there along time ago with all that crap of endowment mortgages not maturing with enough to pay of the home loan!!!

plus the ridiculous percentage salary scales they been using....

Many years ago my good lady worked in a building society,

and the Max we could get our mortgage even with her working there with a negligible staff discount..

was 3 x One persons income!!

& you had to stick down 10% deposit or something???

It makes 5x Two persons salary 100% mortgage no deposit sound like fairy land!!! :|

financial experts My Ar*e!!

Most of the mess is down to the greedy city ....er's who gambled with other peoples money hoping to take the winnings... Well they lost our money and now we are being robbed again to bail them out. In the USA the're being arrested investigated & banged up in jail for what they done. WTF is our government doing? What Nick Leeson got up to is small beer compared to what the banks have been up to. Seen any top brass being dragged handcuffed into court recently? Nope, me neither.
No......................

they get................................................

golden handshake bonus so they leave quietly!!!!:_|X(X( X(

Me & Mrs special have been sick of the crap reporting on the media for many years now...You don't get any informative journalism..

just every news channel trying to outdo every other news channel with the biggest scoop of bad news they can find!

As for the financial & banking world..

I think the hints were there along time ago with all that crap of endowment mortgages not maturing with enough to pay of the home loan!!!

plus the ridiculous percentage salary scales they been using....

Many years ago my good lady worked in a building society,

and the Max we could get our mortgage even with her working there with a negligible staff discount..

was 3 x One persons income!!

& you had to stick down 10% deposit or something???

It makes 5x Two persons salary 100% mortgage no deposit sound like fairy land!!! :|

financial experts My Ar*e!!
Take your point but for 3X my salary I couldn't have bought anything!

We have about 4.5X combined salary with small deposit - and have a small cottage. Only because people want them as holiday cottages............

X(X(X(X(X(X( X(

Take your point but for 3X my salary I couldn't have bought anything!We have about 4.5X combined salary with small deposit - and have a small cottage. Only because people want them as holiday cottages............

X(X(X(X(X(X( X(
If they had kept to better multiplies..

supply & demand prices would have stayed at what first time buyers could afford..

nowadays they can get nothing...

so no bottom rung of the ladder!!!

You cannot go on with people borrowing more and more ,

with less disposable income!

It was destined to fail at some point! :| ;)

If they had kept to better multiplies..supply & demand prices would have stayed at what first time buyers could afford..

nowadays they can get nothing...

so no bottom rung of the ladder!!!

You cannot go on with people borrowing more and more ,

with less disposable income!

It was destined to fail at some point! :| ;)
Average UK salary ~

to be fair itll hapen again in another 10-15years guaranteed :(
when the next batch of young executive no-brains are at the helm of business, but cant recall other hard times!!!

oh this is a jolly thread......

can I just say.............

wibble wobble

goo goo

ga ga

thats better:^O:^O:)

A lot of the problem has been estate agents. They decide what a property is worth. The higher the price the higher the commision so prices have been going up and up. I don't care what my house is worth its a roof over my head.

Batty

My turnover is dire at the moment, not a single new enquiry since xmas. If it wasnt for the missus we could be stuffed next month, the problem is she works for a roofing firm and their cashflow is ****e too !!