Bonding question...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking at doing a PIR on a property and know that the gas main is at the front of the house, the water comes in at the back but the bonds are under the stairs where the pipework passes through. I guess it was convenient for the owner to just run a short length from the CU to where the pipes all pass by.

Is this a 1, 2, 3 or 4? its all bonded nicely but not in the right places!

I should have a consumer unit change soon whereby the only visible pipework after the gas meter is flexible so cant bond there. Then the pipework is buried in the wall and can only see solid pipe where combi boiler is located in the kitchen.

So it does seem a similar situation in that I am not going to be able to bond at the usual location, but i think there is something about bonding as close as is reasonably practical.

So it does seem a similar situation in that I am not going to be able to bond at the usual location, but i think there is something about bonding as close as is reasonably practical.
Is this not what the 'limitations' section is for? ;)

Yes when I do get the job I will make a note on the EIC about gas main bond. Will also stick a label on gas meter giving notice of location of bond as well.

Thats if and when I get the job as customer lost his job last week:(

I sometimes refer to a booklet put together by the Electrical Safety Council on Periodic Inspection Reporting.

The link below should direct you to an online version of the booklet.

http://www.d2a.co.uk/completed_files/Periodic%20inspection.pdf

If you scroll down towards the very end of the document you will find a list of typical defects that you would find on a PIR and the suggested recommendation codes. I have found it to be quite helpful. It identifies the bonding defect that James refers to as a category 4 fault as Andy has already said.

Nice one. The property I speak of is actually my own but wanted to find out what people thought first. Most of the pipework is concealed underfloor/ walls etc and the most practical place to put the bonds is under the stairs even if that means a 4 on the PIR

I think I would do a wander lead test to various locations where the pipes are visible to check on continuity