Advice please re New consumer unit and water pipe bond

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinklady54

Reaction score
A new consumer unit I need fitting and an electrician said I need to have water pipe Bonded to new CU ? IS this correct? HOUSEHOLD 2 bed flat. He wants to put conduit up walls across ceiling in hallway and into new CU ?.
Is this necessary please?.
If it is can it go under carpet round edge s and up architrave door then just 4" conduit needed. Thanks .

Earthing and bonding need to be up to date. How old is the property ?

it’s possible it’s been connected at source as it enters the property?

Wiring regulation 132.16 says something along the lines of:-

"NO alterations, temporary OR permanent should be carried out without first verifying the condition of existing equipment, protective devices and earthing and bonding are adequate for the proposed alteration."

It sounds to me as though your electrician is carrying out appropriate due diligence before amending your electrical installation..

Many, builders, DIY'ers, Kitchen fitters, cowboys etc.. often omit these essential checks.

Any idiot can join a few wires to make something work...
But as electricity can KILL a healthy adult in less than a second all alterations should be designed to fail-safe and NOT endanger any persons using the installation.

Checking earthing and bonding are essential safety checks NOT optional.

If new earthing and bonding are needed, the actual method(s) used can depend upon the Material cost, Labour costs, Building structure, Competence of the person doing the work etc.. etc.. It is a bit difficult to advise over the internet without seeing an actual property..

BUT for many many years, basic guidance for any proposed work in your home, (Gas/Electric/Building/Decorating etc.)..
IS get at LEAST three independent quotations before making any decisions to accept any contractor.

Hope that helps..
And Welcome to the interweb forumbulator.. 🍻

There is the option to connect it to a position not near the intake however every joint would have to be checked to ensure no plastic fittings have been installed.

Check the incoming water pipe as it may have been replaced with plastic when the building was converted. If it is plastic then a main water bond is not required.

The earth cable could be clipped around architraves and skirting (won’t look pretty) better than trunking It’s bigger than 4mm so doesn’t need mechanical protection.

A new consumer unit I need fitting and an electrician said I need to have water pipe Bonded to new CU ? IS this correct? HOUSEHOLD 2 bed flat. He wants to put conduit up walls across ceiling in hallway and into new CU ?.
Is this necessary please?.
If it is can it go under carpet round edge s and up architrave door then just 4" conduit needed. Thanks .
doesn't sound like a great way of running the cable, but that depends on floor coverings etc. Ideally we would lift a few floor boards and run the cable out of sight. You can also get D-line trunking and run around the skirting boards, which doesn't look too bad, especially if you repaint the skirting and trunking . https://www.d-line-it.com/trunking/

There is the option to connect it to a position not near the intake however every joint would have to be checked to ensure no plastic fittings have been installed.

Check the incoming water pipe as it may have been replaced with plastic when the building was converted. If it is plastic then a main water bond is not required.
Thank you, hopefully we can find the source of water pipe into property

doesn't sound like a great way of running the cable, but that depends on floor coverings etc. Ideally we would lift a few floor boards and run the cable out of sight. You can also get D-line trunking and run around the skirting boards, which doesn't look too bad, especially if you repaint the skirting and trunking . https://www.d-line-it.com/trunking/
Hi thank you, I did see this trunking at Wickes which is only 2 miles away, so will purchase that and corner pieces. Going under carpet edge and under step lip coming out at door architrave. Then will use D trunking up to new CU .

PS the cloakroom is a tiled floor so will use D trunking from sink at floor edge drill through wood architrave then under carpeted edge to other side of hallway rather than up walls and over ceiling. 😀

Latest posts