Bonding to gas and water block of flats

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But if there is only one building supply & one DNO meter then it doesnt matter how many C/U there are .
why?

there is more than one install if there are specifically dedicated buildings within a building, owned by different people, so why wouldnt they be classed as different properties?

so why does it not matter?

we are not talking about a factory [etc] situation here where it is ONE property, this is numerous different properties.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:21 ----------

EDIT, I think the actual word in the regs is 'dwelling'

so surely each flat is its own dwelling ?

I am under the understanding that each flat would require its own bonding, from ita own CU, this is how we have always done them on the new build side of things. The only change now is that the water doesn't need bonding if all done in plastic.

I am under the understanding that each flat would require its own bonding, from ita own CU, this is how we have always done them on the new build side of things. The only change now is that the water doesn't need bonding if all done in plastic.
Yes it would if copper..............if all in plastic throughout then no Sharps...... lot of new builds are, in fact the last 4 flat renovations i did were plastic for everything, incomer, stop cock, the rads - the lot.....looks awful under the rads bendy rough plastic pipe but i suppose that could just be the rough ass plumber !

Ze? With muli flats bonding incoming supplies.. Does that mean your gonna need to knock on all doors to disconnect everyone's bonding to get a Ze?

Ze? With muli flats bonding incoming supplies.. Does that mean your gonna need to knock on all doors to disconnect everyone's bonding to get a Ze?
If you were taking a measurement of Ze for the whole building you would disconnect the 'Earthing Conductor' from the MET, at the origin of the installation - i.e. the main board where the supply enters the building - and measure in the normal way.

If you were working for an individual tenant and treating one of the flats as a seperate 'installation' in it's own right, then you would disconnect that particular flat's incomming earth from it's EMT (sub-MET) and measure Ze at the flat's CU, in the normal way.........external to the installation(flat).

If you were working for an individual tenant and NOT treating the flat as a seperate installation, but as a sub off the main board, then Ze would be measured at the 'origin' (main board), and the measurement at the EMT in the flat would be Zs of the sub-main..........with earthing and bonding connected.

In which of the above three circumstances do you envisage knocking at every flat to disconnect their bonding?? :)

Hello all, Now a quick question for you all.

Incoming gas and water supply at the bottom of the property. No bonding is in place ATM.

Now I always take the earth from the cu to each meter for each flat.

If its the same single phase supply feeding the flats then on the incoming earth block can't we just bond each gas and water meter from there?

Saving the mess of chasing ect??

What's the thoughts
So you have a single phase supply feeding x amount of flats. Are the flat supplies metered? What are the service arrangements, heating etc?

I'm with Slips on this one.

My understanding is that all new builds must have DNO metering anyway now, even if landlord owned,so that maybe would call for each to be defined as independent, but they would also have gas and water each also under new build regulations, Now refurbs are a different story and on these if you have 1-Supply, 1-Water Main, 1-Gas Main, Landlords Dis-board and Sub-switches for flats, I would have MET next to head and run gas, water and earths from sub main switches. At the end of the day this is no different than a very large house with say 3-5 Sub-boards scattered about.

If you were taking a measurement of Ze for the whole building you would disconnect the 'Earthing Conductor' from the MET, at the origin of the installation - i.e. the main board where the supply enters the building - and measure in the normal way.

If you were working for an individual tenant and treating one of the flats as a seperate 'installation' in it's own right, then you would disconnect that particular flat's incomming earth from it's EMT (sub-MET) and measure Ze at the flat's CU, in the normal way.........external to the installation(flat).

If you were working for an individual tenant and NOT treating the flat as a seperate installation, but as a sub off the main board, then Ze would be measured at the 'origin' (main board), and the measurement at the EMT in the flat would be Zs of the sub-main..........with earthing and bonding connected.

In which of the above three circumstances do you envisage knocking at every flat to disconnect their bonding?? :)
Possibly the second one!! Else how do I know I'm getting Earth and not someone else's gas bonding as a reading?

Possibly the second one!! Else how do I know I'm getting Earth and not someone else's gas bonding as a reading?
cos you have disconnected your incoming earth to do the test, and your incoming earth goes where?

so if you are in a row of terrace houses what do you do?

its the same principle.

cos you have disconnected your incoming earth to do the test, and your incoming earth goes where?

so if you are in a row of terrace houses what do you do?

its the same principle.
I asked that exact question once.. It didn't go anywhere... It was cut off from the earth spike when the house was renovated 10 yrs previous..

The readings I was getting was the other flat's water and gas connections..

I asked that exact question once.. It didn't go anywhere... It was cut off from the earth spike when the house was renovated 10 yrs previous..The readings I was getting was the other flat's water and gas connections..
so you would get a > reading if you measured it disconnected.!

how could you be getting a reading from next door if you disconnect your earthing conductor, and it is not connected to anything?

so you would get a > reading if you measured it disconnected.!how could you be getting a reading from next door if you disconnect your earthing conductor, and it is not connected to anything?
'Cos the bonding was still connected to the MET, along with the CU.

At the end of the day this is no different than a very large house with say 3-5 Sub-boards scattered about.
Whilst you may be correct, I would dare say that it will be the wording of the regs that would catch you out, in that each flat is considered to be a separate dwelling.

It went back to the MET next to the supply, along with the earths of the other flats. This MET was disconnected from the earth spike.

It went back to the MET next to the supply, along with the earths of the other flats. This MET was disconnected from the earth spike.
so WTF was the point in that?

you do know/understand how to measure Ze dont you?

cos after reading that Im completely lost as to how anyone could deem you competent enough to even read the regs.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:57 ----------

you left every flat in the building without an earth and you feel that was OK?

:shakehead

Of course I didn't!!! You playing the incompetent card AGAIN!!! Please remove the tone from you writing and the chip on your shoulder!! Sick of hearing it from you.. Such a shame for such a knowledgable.

My boss called supplier to sort earth as PME was available.