BT 87J OSCILLATOR AND PROBE Help on its operation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkthemark

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone help? Got involved in a job where I have to identify 300 x BT and Cat5 cables. I had a cheap 'tone tester' from China, that lasted about a week, but has packed in. I have now bought a secod hand "BT 87J Oscillator and Probe", but I am a little unsure as to the correct way to use it. Any help, please?

Try and clip on Osc. one end and detect with probe the other

I have now bought a secod hand "BT 87J Oscillator and Probe", but I am a little unsure as to the correct way to use it. Any help, please?
Connect generator on end of cable, wave tone round the other end.

Do you need specific instructions on the exact workings of the particular kit in question, or a general guide on the operating principles of tone generators and receivers?

As above and if you want to confirm with your tone you are at the correct pair, short them together and the tone will stop.

To tone out the cat5 I cut the ends off an old patch lead, stripped back one pair so you can connect your croc clips to this then plug it into the panel. Can use the other end to plug into the floor outlet and short out to confirm