Builder,labc,architects........and Me

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
Converting large space above a shop into two flats

Are the kitchen plans available,,, nope

apparently architect C***** up and cannot remove wall  Labc said

ok plans arrive can I have them er no but the position of units are marked on wall etc ok

Thursday lunchtime last week can you start the kitchens flat 1 first,,,,  yep kitchen fitter has a space to start on the Monday !!!!

Friday,Saturday and Monday all done guy doesn't turn up until Tuesday

fine have this invoice

plumbers in to do the bathrooms and kitchen,,,, they have their core drill out       ask them to put two holes in the bathrooms for extractor fans,,,,,,too busy 

why do I bother busting a gut and get nout back

Im am just the builders B#tch

I share your pain.

I'm refurbishing an industrial unit, the deadline is to be finished by the end of this week coming for then tenant to move in.

I was there on Tuesday, did all I could.  I'm held up for the tapers to do the new ceilings before I can put the lights up.

I told the boss what I needed and that I would be back in Friday.

Turn up Friday, no taping done.  Sod it, trunking is now on the bare plasterboard wall, they will have to tape round it.

Tapers turned up mid day.

If the ceiling isn't taped on Monday, the lights will be going on bare plasterboard and they will have to tape round those as well.

I'm b******d if I am going to wait for the other trades, and then be the one rushing round like a headless chicken at the end of the week, and the one blamed for it being late.

My industrial unit refurb just gets better.

Tenant is due to move in on Monday.

The wiring will be ready.  BUT....

The taper can't finish taping the newly replaced section of plasterboard ceiling, because this morning water was dripping from it.  Yes there's a leak in the roof, which is why the plasterboard was rotten in the first place.

There's a lab area with a bench down the middle. Rows of bench sockets either side down the middle. But they want a perspex splash back down the middle so someone has to cut it and fit it. The perspex is sitting there waiting.

The guy that's going to do it either could not see, or was not told the urgency so has spend most of the day adjusting cupboard doors, while I wire the bench trunking sockets and leave the trunking just sitting loose so that one day, at some point in the future, someone can bolt it all down with said piece of perspex sandwiched in between.

The lights are going up tomorrow on a taped, but unpainted ceiling, regardless of whether the filler is completely dry or not.

And nobody has officially told me to connect a peak and off peak supply to the two immersion heaters in the new hot water tank that appeared yesterday. Shall I wait to be told, or use my initiative? Perhaps the plumbers, who turn up every other afternoon, are going to wire those?

They DID tell me this morning about the small water heater going under the aforementioned row of benches (the one with the loose fitted trunking). Sadly the only power to the bench island is the two cables for the RFC, so as they don't want to dig up the concrete floor that will have to be fed from an FCU off the RFC.  

And yesterday, as a rush job last thing I had to move a light and fire detector in a corridor, as they are fitting an extra door and the joiner was coming that evening.  Yes you've guessed, no sign of a door frame this morning so there was no need to have rushed that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
you didnt see those heaters, so couldnt wire them up...

and since plumbers like to tell the sparky how to do his job, just tell him to wire it

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I would never be successful in this line, because it would be me saying, that I want this and that, or the other NOW, and if I don;t get it, then for example, I'm fitting the lights to the bare beams & the ceiling fitters & the plasterers can work around them and live with it, and, if there is any re-work needed to make the lights compliant with the wiring regulations then it WILL be charged at an hourly rate of £xx on top of the quote, no options not discussions, this is the way it will be, end of, just because you employed tossers, does not mean that it is my problem, you employed them live with it & pay the bills because you were a twat.

Funnily enough, I have more work at the moment than I can do as well.

That can always change, but I'm not going to change my attitude, why should I go out of my way & loose money on jobs because the client & the other trades are useless twats?

Dave you have just summed up the construction industry a trea ............Oh  have I already said that . :innocent

And probably the worst jobs to work on would be ............shopfitting :( :eek:    They never change ..everything done at 500 MPH .... its got to be re-open yesterday ........  WOOPS  I was standing still at the Dist. Bd. and the painter gave me two coats of undercoat . 

I've seen above false ceilings in some of the posh shops in B,ham City Centre .......... :eek:     twin & earth throwabout and stuff it all in connectors because its Sunday night and they're re-open in the morning .      Found the Fire Alarm panel on top of the ceiling tiles once ...powered up and working . :(

Latest posts