C5 - 13 things they don’t want us to know about Smart meters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched it +1 (didn't see this thread before then)
It was journalism at its most dull. Stretching out things that everyone (should) already know.

Some "home expert" said you can save money by turning your room stat down. Like no one knew that.

And the Alexis Conran was cutting a large cake to show what percentage (Roughly) of your energy bill goes where.

Oh, and 2 million "smart meters" don't work

There was some bloke saying how much he loved his smart meter.

It was just dull drivel.

That programme hardly scratched the surface of the SMETS and SMETS2 standards and the control potential the energy providers could excercise given half a chance

But the question is.....
Do you realise that when smart meters fail.. Sometimes they can actually fail in your favour.. Not the suppliers?

We've had smart meters since July 2008.. and I can't see any reason to suggest that traditional manual meters would have benefited us any better during that time..?

The Electric meter had to be replaced in 2019...
But its the smart Gas smart-meter that has saved us "loads-a-money" (as Harry Enfield used to say)...

Our Gas meter stopped working on 24 July 2023...
Whereby it stopped counting the volume of gas we were consuming..
But was still transmitting the last known value each month back to our supplier..
(we have gas central heating, cook on a five ring gas hob, and our hot water is heated via the gas boiler)

So in the suppliers opinion the gas meter is working, communicating a reading back to their billing computer..
but we have just used Zero volume of Gas since the last reading!

After the end of August bill came through I spotted this anomaly and phoned the customer services in September to report the fault..

To cut a long story-short.. It appears that the customer services and/or known smart-meter faults flow diagram didn't have much guidance on how to resolve this problem.. ??
(e.g. meter is transmitting correctly the current reading.. But has lost the ability to count the actual consumption!!)

I phoned again during, October, November, January, March, April.. doing all I could to get the problem resolved..!

Finally 17 May 2024, we actually get a new working gas smart-meter fitted..

So basically just under 10months worth of gas consumption, including the winter of 2023 was Zero..
24 July 23 to 17 May 24. as the transmitted reading was always the same figure!!

We are now all back up and working correctly..
and have not had any attempt to recoup the lost consumption payments...
As they wouldn't have a leg to stand on as I was repeatedly contacting them to try and resolve the fault ASAP!

Nine and a bit months of free Gas, all because of a faulty smart meter is good in my opinion! :)

One of my mate's had a smart gas meter fail and it switched his gas off, something to do with the internal battery failing

They have tried 3 times to install a smart meter at my parents house. Each time I send them an email saying there is no room in the meter cupboard to install a smart meter.

I have sent pictures as well. It's a 1950s property with the meter in the corner of the living room, over the years the cupboard has been redesigned and made smaller but the original board the meter was on is still there.

But new consumer unit fitted leaves no room for these massive meters they have to put in.

So three times they have tried, 3times they have failed. It can't be the only property with this issue. Why don't they develop a meter that's the same size as the old digital ones ?

Mobile phones are small so surely someone can bring to market a similar sized meter ?

I have wondered what happens when there isn't space. So far I've got away with just ignoring the requests to book an installation appointment but no doubt the pressure will increase eventually. My cupboard has a reasonably large board which I think is supposed to be just for the supply company but now has a large consumer unit plus the isolation switch and meter for my solar system and a large alarm panel. The latter is actually redundant and I could remove it if necessary, but can I be pressured into somehow making space for the smart meter?