cable identification (shower)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saint elmo

Reaction score
hi im redoing the bathroom and the 9.5kw shower is on cable pictured which has burnt at the connector block at some point its on a B32 MCB

im not sure what size this cable is?

the diameter of the individual conductors is between 4-5mm

the width of the overall cable is about 14mm

measuring the cable width it looks to be 6mm2 measuring the conductor looks to be a 10mm2

the earth is significantly smaller, slightly thicker than a 2.5mm2 conductor

pictured next to 2.5mm2 cable for comparison

when i put everything through the IEC calculator it says the earth size should be the same as live and neutral cable wrong anyway?

pictures found here sorry cannot direct upload to this site https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWqnxEf

looks like 6mm but there's more strands than normal. smaller cpc size is common. IEC calculator would suggest youre not from UK so advice here may be different to where you are

looks like 6mm but there's more strands than normal. smaller cpc size is common. IEC calculator would suggest youre not from UK so advice here may be different to where you are
there is 7 strandsin total

if its 6mm then that is probably the reason the cable and connector block have melted then no?

there is 7 strandsin total

if its 6mm then that is probably the reason the cable and connector block have melted then no?

7 strands would be right, looked like more in the photo

if the cable was too small then it would be damaged / melted along its entire length. local damage is always a dodgy connection. reterminate and move on

7 strands would be right, looked like more in the photo

if the cable was too small then it would be damaged / melted along its entire length. local damage is always a dodgy connection. reterminate and move on

yea i had to recheck the cable as the photo looked like more

im just concerned that the amps needed for the shower is too high(in theory) for the cable installed but it must have been like that for years so in practice it is ok

The usual reason for a connector burned out like that is the screws were not tight enough.

If a 9.5kW shower is running from a 32A MCB I hope you are in the habit of having very quick showers as that will trip after a couple of minutes.  Are you saying the shower with the burned out connector is 9.5kW or you are about to fit a 9.5kW shower to replace it?

What's the 2.5mm cable in the photo, where does that fit into the discussion or is that a red Herring?

Last edited by a moderator:
The usual reason for a connector burned out like that is the screws were not tight enough.

If a 9.5kW shower is running from a 32A MCB I hope you are in the habit of having very quick showers as that will trip after a couple of minutes.  Are you saying the shower with the burned out connector is 9.5kW or you are about to fit a 9.5kW shower to replace it?

What's the 2.5mm cable in the photo, where does that fit into the discussion or is that a red Herring?
the original shower installed is 9.5kw i have never used it (new house) my thoughts too that it would be tripping a lot ive looked into this type of thing and some  breakers wont always trip buty ive never used it to know exactly

the 2.5 mm cable is just for comparison so you can determine the size of the shower cable

so that is  9.5KW shower with a 6mm2 cable on a 32 amp breaker not a good setup, im guessing the shower was replaced after the cable install from what i can determine the shower is 10-15 yrs old

Last edited by a moderator: