Electrical Installation Condition Report - unsatisfactory

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arj95

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m purchasing a flat built around 1900, but because it had electrical work carried out around 2007 the Seller has provided an Electrical Installation Condition Report from an inspection / survey carried out in 2021.

The result is unsatisfactory, but I understand that recent regulations means that this often crops up as an issue. Out of the following call outs (see below), are there any I should be more concerned about? Difficult for a layman to understand!

Thank you!

• Measured Zs value exceeds maximum permitted Zs value for circuit: Sockets living room DB : DB1 - C2
  • Unacceptable condition of meter tails - Distributor/Consumer. Tails recommended to be upgraded - C3
  • Earthing conductor size not compliant(542.3, 543.1.1). Recommend size of conductor is upgraded - C3
  • Incorrect identification of circuit details and protective devices (514.8.1; 514.9.1). Labelling does not match since CDs were disconnected - C3
  • No CD(s) provided for additional protection/requirements - includes RCBOs (411.3.3; 415.1). CDs were originally fitted to this installation but have been disconnected. These should be reinstated or RCBOs installed. - C2
  • No additonal protection by CD for all socket-outlets of rating 32 A or less (411.3.3) - C2
  • No additonal protection by CD for cables concealed in walls at a depth of less than 50 mm (522.6.202; 522.6.203) - C2
  • No additonal protection by CD for circuits supplying luminaires within domestic (household) premises (411.3.4) - C2
  • No suitability of equipment for external influences for installed location in terms of IP rating (701.512.2)
  • Metal class 1 light fitting in bathroom not CD protected. No suitability of equipment for installation in a particular zone (701.512.3) - C2
  • Light fitting in bathroom within reach from bath/shower. Replace with IP rated class 2 fitting - C2
  • No additional protection for all circuits by a 30mA CD (not applicable if designed pre BS 7671) (701.411.3.3) - C2
  • Working space/accessibility to equipment not adequate (132.12: 513.1). Pull cord light switch in bathroom unable to be opened / accessed as has been plastered in to cornicing. Recommend clearina this - C3

A good portion of that would be rectified with a consumer unit replacement and a light fitting or two being replaced..... however, what's to say that the installation is in the same condition that it was when it was inspected and tested?

And remember it is only C1 and C2 that need to be fixed, C3 is just advisory.

What is constant reference to "CD" I assume that is meant to be "RCD"? If so it looks like someone has butchered the consumer unit for some reason, so as above a new consumer unit is the best solution.

And remember it is only C1 and C2 that need to be fixed, C3 is just advisory.

What is constant reference to "CD" I assume that is meant to be "RCD"? If so it looks like someone has butchered the consumer unit for some reason, so as above a new consumer unit is the best solution.
Thanks very much ProDave / NozSpark.

@ProDave, that's my error - the character recognition on my Scanner seems to have missed all the Rs. That should be RCD!

Hi

Just a point that is often overlooked is insurance. If this installation caused a fire, (which looking at the report without detailed values to back it up) then could find some issues on getting paid out.
In particular the Zs issue and it mentions some sockets with no RCD protection, the two together is not good.

Locked to prevent being hi-jacked (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts