Cable Rods.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulmer

Reaction score
Just looking for a bit of advice on them really, before I go and buy a set.

Are the Super Rod ones worth the extra cash over a set of the cheaper ones.

If so, what makes them so much better?

I think things like that you want to buy cheap... so that when you drop them down a wall , or leave them on top of a suspended celing, its not as anoying.

at the end of the day.... its a stick!

I've only ever had the cheap ones, think they're about 10quid on ebay. They will snap but under quite a lot of abuse!! I think the dearer ones are bout 40quid. So for me I'll stick with the cheapo's. I've been abusing mine for a while and snapped 1.

Sorry to keep disagreeing with Andy, but the cheap ones do exactly the same job in my opinion - and you cry less when you drop them in a stud wall!

I think things like that you want to buy cheap... so that when you drop them down a wall , or leave them on top of a suspended celing, its not as anoying.at the end of the day.... its a stick!
true!!

I got 3 of mine stuck in a cavity, still in the blokes house now.

i could not afford the 70 quid on a nice set so i got a set of silverline, the ends come off fairly easy so would not recomend
I've noticed that but I wouldn't say I can;t recommend them. I bought a

Been using a 120 meter duct rod today, must say well worth the money done the job in no time, wouldn't be much use in walls tho! ROTFWL

Seriously tho i only use super rod, i found they splinter less and i hate fiberglass splinters. But at the end of the day they all splinter, id say buy the best you can afford. Im sure mine only cost

Been using a 120 meter duct rod today, must say well worth the money done the job in no time,
One of my favourite tools. :) I've also got a couple of offcuts from an old one, dead handy for long trunking\tray runs. Bit wild when you snip the cable ties keeping it tidy in the back of the van though!

One of my favourite tools. :) I've also got a couple of offcuts from an old one, dead handy for long trunking\tray runs. Bit wild when you snip the cable ties keeping it tidy in the back of the van though!
still got in the back of the van, dont think i will get away with chopping some off though, it goes back tomorrow! Can imagine a short length to extremely handy.

Its the screwfix ones I was looking at.

Agree with the things that have been said about loosing the rods so think I'll go down the cheap option rather than shell out 40 quid plus for a set of Super Rods.

Only starting out at the moment, will so see how i get on with the cheap ones first.

Cheers for your comments;)

I don't use rods, I use a wind up fish tape on a roll like this one http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67849/Hand-Tools/Cable-Access/Spring-Steel-Fish-Tape (only mine is 25 metres long)

It has an advantage over rods that you can bend it to any shape you like and it stays there, handy for fishing wires round corners or over obstacles.

Being made of spring steel, it's not going to shatter and should last years.