Adding an isolator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameslaurieuk

Reaction score
Morning all

My new kitchen used to be a craft bakery so there’s a few modifications I’m going to be making to make it more useable.

Firstly I want to add an isolater to the set up, can I insert this between the meter and the splitter for the 2 DBs or is the BICC splitter part of the DNO kit?

Secondly I’m going to strip out the oven timers and contacters and connect the cables straight through. Is anything going to surprise me when I do this as I don’t know much about them.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_8374.jpeg
    IMG_8374.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8373.jpeg
    IMG_8373.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8374.jpeg
    IMG_8374.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8373.jpeg
    IMG_8373.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
The boards you wish to isolate should have a main switch, turn it off and it isolates everything anyway.

The meter tails the DB side of the meter are yours to do what you like with. However, I would not be messing with those unless you really know what you are doing. The only way to 'make safe' the meter tails and blocks is to pull the main fuse, which is strictly illegal for anyone to do bar your DNO. Not that stops most people...😁

With regards to the cables, shouldn't be any issues other than they look a little short to get to the kitchen dB, which I assume has all the correct mcbs in for cable protection. It might be easier to strip out the isolators and transfer all the mcbs etc to the isolator board.

Last edited:
The meter tails the DB side of the meter are yours to do what you like with. However, I would not be messing with those unless you really know what you are doing. The only way to 'make safe' the meter tails and blocks is to pull the main fuse, which is strictly illegal for anyone to do bar your DNO. Not that stops most people...😁

Thanks, useful to know that the DNO owned kit ends at the meter tails. Luckily the main fuse no longer has its seal attached which will make it easier for the DNO to pull it for me 😂

With regards to the cables, shouldn't be any issues other than they look a little short to get to the kitchen dB, which I assume has all the correct mcbs in for cable protection. It might be easier to strip out the isolators and transfer all the mcbs etc to the isolator board.
I’m thinking the cables are too short to reach the kitchen db too, it has all the correct mcbs in it so will probably remove the contactor board and replace it with a smaller box and connect the cables there in situ, that’ll also make room for the main isolator.

Thanks, useful to know that the DNO owned kit ends at the meter tails. Luckily the main fuse no longer has its seal attached which will make it easier for the DNO to pull it for me 😂

I’m thinking the cables are too short to reach the kitchen db too, it has all the correct mcbs in it so will probably remove the contactor board and replace it with a smaller box and connect the cables there in situ, that’ll also make room for the main isolator.
Nb should all be RCD protected for today's regs, I would recommend a full set of RCBOs, far more reliable as a set up.

This work is notifiable under Part P of building regs, do you have an electrician who can sign the work off? If not get one on board before commencing works. Most electricians are happy for people to do the bulk of the work, provided they can supervise it / do the final connections.

Latest posts