swapping inverter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignose2

Reaction score
Hi,
Rather jumping in with ref. the original post so sorry if messing up the thread.
(Post has been split)

Regarding DIY swapping a standard non-hybrid 3.6kw inverter for a new hybrid 3.6kw inverter & adding batteries.
MCS, DNO & general qualifications.

Had a Solis 3.6kw non-hybrid & 4.2PV & professional installed, all certified.

I have two of the same & I have actually now replaced the one in my business DIY. little more cautious in my house for safety & regulations. I know business is just as important but more remote & easier.

Do I need to apply or worry about MCS certificate or DNO notification.

I really would hope & have thought not.
The inverter simply replaced the old one, all the important connections the same, into export meter & CU etc.
Nothing different grid side. The inverter must protect the grid & to the same 3.6kw even with batteries installed.
Power failure the inverter still isolates the grid.

Adding batteries is plug & play although I am adding a switching fuse between battery & inverter (Pylontech tech say you don't even need to do that) Solis sort of do but sensible anyway of course.

Did have to install a small meter that came with the Solis but that is just for RS485 communications.

I would have preferred to have paid my originally installers but now I have done myself I am glad I did, I thought perhaps I was missing something & much more involved, complicated & time consuming.
They said it would be about £4600, pretty sure that was + VAT

I have done it for £2900 inc VAT including fuses, housing & extra cables etc.
Took me an easy 2 hours & I was going really slow checking connections & just being cautious.
I make that about £1000 an hour. perhaps more, I image they can get the solar & batteries with a small trade discount.
& this was for two installs, £4k profit for a very easy day's work for one guy.

May be they do have to do some more paper work but after giving them £14k last year I do not like being taken advantage off. Happy to pay a premium for skill & qualification but that was crazy. Sorry for rant.

I will get a sparky to check & sign off in the house, I will add the backup circuit and that has implications, earthing etc.

Warranty is the only other issue, I am not sure I could ever deal direct with Solis or the supplier but perhaps I could.

No feed in tariff, not even the SEG as not got a smart meter

to be honest cannot see any DNO paper work, perhaps the installer just notifies & we don't hear directly or I missed an email? As only 3.6 they install & notify after.

I have sort of enquired on other forums but this seems to be more on point earlier with clearly knowledgeable people.

Last edited by a moderator:
£14k - spawn of Vader they be!

if you have swapped a 3-6kw inverter for a 3.6 hybrid inverter, you should be OK.

You should have had G98 notification confirmation fromthe DNO - your installer should have done that paperwork. Strictly speaking you should notify DNO of installing batteries, as this can affect loading on the grid. No need to be MCS to do that.

Hi,

Re-visiting as the OP.

Struggling to get peace of mind & another potential problem with SEG (Smart Export Guarantee) with DIY upgrade to hybrid & batteries.

Solis SOL-3.6K-RHI-48ES-5G-DC

As I say professional install of PV & non-hybrid inverter. CMS & DNO reported.
A DIY upgrade to same rated 3.6kw hybrid inverter & 5kwH battery.
The org. installers wanted labour £1,500+ for what took me an afternoon, I have 2 same so £3k total.

Still not got a smart meter Scottish Electric have not had appointments for 6 months!
But whilst ready to really chase them did a bit more research.

To get the SEG they will want to know how the batteries are installed & Battery storage schematic diagram & I think information of how the installer protects from selling "brown" electricity back to the grid.

I will try to research but not sure ever read anything about this & how technically to prevent.

1) Does the MCS show batteries normally, mine just lists the PV

2) Scottish Power ..
  1. We don’t pay for brown energy- meaning that we will require a technical diagram where it is clearly stated that no energy from batteries is exported to the grid.
If you don’t comply with it, you can choose to join SEG with another supplier whose tariff covers brown energy (batteries). SEG export, is totally independent of the import supply so you won’t need to change electricity supplier.

Not sure if I can work out how to make sure no brown electricity exported and if I can send the diagram or if they will want to know it is from the "installer"

All a bit screwed because solar installers have you over a barrel.

MCS
KIWA 00010/0010C IK Schletter Solar Gmbh Rapid 2+
BABT 8515-235-405W Shanghai JA Solar Tech Co Ltd. JAM54S30-405/GR/1500V