Cable size and MCB position required for INVERTER to CONSUMER UNIT

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Clegg

Reaction score
Hi All,
Thanks for allowing me to join the forum, already learnt things! My son is an electrician but doesnt generally do house work, more gates shutters and the like.
I have bought some batteries and a Victron inverter for my house (no solar panels as yet) I will be setting up the batteries and inverter and my son will be connecting it all up. At a later date i will be adding panels but how isnt decided as yet.
I have a couple of questions if I may. The battery side of it all is easy to set up, the AC looks easy but i need to know a couple of things about cable size and positioning. I live in a bungalow and the inverter is going in the loft, the consumer unit is at ground level. The cable length from inverter to consumer unit is approx 5m. I need to fit in this cable a 50amp DP MCB as i dont really want to go straight to the consumer unit even though i have space. What i would like to know is what size cable should i use and can the 50AMP MCB be placed anywhere along the cable or should it be close to the inverter or the consumer unit?
I alos need to fit a meter with ethernet cable, can this go adjacent to the consumer unit? the smart meter and 100am isolator is about 1 metre away through 2 thick walls. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Attachments

• SLD_of_ESS_system.png
    SLD_of_ESS_system.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts