cable size for 6kw x 2 fryer ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1pacino

Reaction score
Hi all, can anyone tell me what cable size I should use for 2 x 6kw fryer's which has a run of 20 meters, it's been a while since I had to work these out and have got a little rusty so I used an online cable size calculator which gives me 4mm- is this correct? Any help would greatly appreciated!

Supply voltage = 230 Volts

Ib - design current = 26.1 Amps

Protective device type = MCB typeB

In - protective device rating = 32 Amps

Length of run of cable = 20 meters

Power factor = 1

Cable Type : Twin & Earth

Installation Method : Single-core or Multi-core cables Fixed on (clipped direct), or spaced < 0.3 x cable diameter from a wooden or masonary wall

method C

Ambient temp = 30

I am using a 32A C breaker it is ran is 3 core SWA 4mm, the reason I ask is that one of the fryer's is working ok but the other burnt at the neutral connection and it worried me that I should have used a bigger cable instead- any ideas why it burnt at one of the neutrals?

Type c would not disconnect in the required time if 0.35 Ze is taken but type B would.

I would check your Ze just to make sure the Zs is within the limits for a type C.

as it is in a commercial building, these fryer's are being used in a small kitchen/canteen area

Type c would not disconnect in the required time if 0.35 Ze is taken but type B would.I would check your Ze just to make sure the Zs is within the limits for a type C.
;)

Not loose connection ? Have you tested the fryers at all?
The fryers worked for most of the day but burnt a couple of hours ago The connections were tight so am unsure why this has happened I got worried I had put a cable in that was too small

Supply voltage = 230 Volts

Ib - design current = 26.1 Amps

Protective device type = MCB typeC

Power factor = 1

Cable Type : Thermosetting 90

the screw may have been tight but was the cable clamped tight ? ;)

Supply voltage = 230 VoltsIb - design current = 26.1 Amps

Protective device type = MCB typeC

Power factor = 1

Cable Type : Thermosetting 90

the screw may have been tight but was the cable clamped tight ? ;)
I am pretty sure it was but if it is not the cable size it must have been connection?

a dodgy switch could have transferred the heat to the connection

is the switch rated high enough?