Cable Tray

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvukol

Reaction score
Just a quick one if anyone knows or a Reg or any mention anywhere of which way up tray has to be installed? I've been asked by the NHBC regarding another job if there's a certain way it should be mounted. As far as I'm aware it should be installed face up as in a "tray" shape but cant find any information to confirm it. I think the Building Inspectors main concern is that the plastic zip ties the cables are attached to the tray with will obviously melt in the event of a fire. This could cause a big hazard for the firefighters.

Thanks in advance

Jack

there is no reg which states which way it should be installed.

however, it would be covered by the reg of 'follow manufacturers instructions', and if they say it must be installed a certain way, then thats how it has to be installed.

hopefully the instructions wont be as bad as some that have been posted here recently

I would have thought the only reg was the one saying "adequately supported" which is a bit vague.

Cable trays CAN be vertical, so if the cable ties melted they would all fall off. But then again PVC cable would all be melted anyway by the time that happened. If in doubt use metal ties or clips?

If the tray is laid flat, one would normally fit the lips uppermost. One could possibly argue a flat cable tray with the lips uppermost would "adequately support" the cable even without ties? Certainly it won't need as many ties as a vertical cable tray.

we try and avoid tray as much as poss now

basket is much quicker to install,easier on the cables,entry and exit position all along it

upside down tray just use metal ties every 2m or so

Put tray up anyway you want . Don't start inventing problems that are not there.
+1

If they may be a problem put a stainless cable tie every 1.5m I was also told this during my last assesment but only to worry about it if ths tray passes over a doorway

I have used tray in all positions dependant on the job in hand, like Andy said the only thing that can be quoted are the manufacturers instructions if any.

I like to use basket for horizontal runs but use tray for vertical or heavy duty stuff.