Call Out Fees

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrics_new

Reaction score
Eve all.......

Just want to get my pricing right and fair...............

What is a reasonable Call Out Fee ?  Also, do you include labour in your call out fee ?

Everyone charges different ?

Thanks

too many different factors to give a price. i usually include 1/2 hour labour in the callout charge, then by 1/2 hour after that.

price depends on customer and what mood im in at the time and whether i can be bothered to go out or not

Different contracts for us pay differently. The contractors that give us loads of work we do not charge anything for call outs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of charging a small call out with 1/2 labour included for a local landlord that I do alot of work for.  

Never operated a callout charge.....established 1946.

However there is a minimum charge of 1 hour, clock,starts when i set off....stops,when I get home. There is also a return to base mileage charge....my hourly rate is also variable subject to who the client is and what the work is.

Some like it, some don't.

The ones that like it get me, the ones that don't don't.

Mileage charge does not apply within a 10 mile distance of base....not radius as there is a lot of water around here!

Just earning

I don't have a call out as such, unless the job is a long way away, but minimum 1 hour labour, even if it only takes 5 minutes.

I don't have a call out as such either.... I charge a minimum of an hour although that first hour is loaded by 50% to cover traveling, fuel etc... thats for local jobs....during normal working hours

for jobs further away I charge my standard hourly rate door to door + 45p/mile

Last edited by a moderator:
I Had a potential new client who spat his dummy out at my return to base charge and mileage charge

He thought a two hour job in Dumfries should be billed at 2 hours plus fuel...My driving time being free!

It would be a 250 mile round trip

He just did not get it!....neither did he get me!

Another client...opposite end of spectrum. Sent me BA Club Class to Amsterdam for a three hour job!...paid invoice within 24 hours!

Just working for some very nice people

Eve all.......

Just want to get my pricing right and fair...............

What is a reasonable Call Out Fee ?  Also, do you include labour in your call out fee ?

Everyone charges different ?

Thanks
By call out I assume you mean urgent, unplanned, unsociable hours type work. It is generally accepted that this type of work costs more than pre-booked normal hours work. All you have to do is decide what percentage multiplier you want to implement to ensure you are making a good return for the extra hassle of the work which may cause disruption to your personal commitments or other planned jobs.  If you breakdown on the motorway and have to call a mechanic out it costs an awful lot more than if you had booked you car in to a local garage for some work. Most reasonable customers understand this concept of increased charges, however if they don't, then you are probably best not doing the work in the first place. I would imagine you have to start at time & half or double times your normal hourly rate to even consider going to the job. 

Doc H.

I do NOT do call out, as a rule,

I have one customer who manages a few properties that I will do the odd emergency for if I haven't had a beer,

He knows my prices, so will only call if it is a genuine emergency,

Last one was £60 for <1hr within 2 miles from my house, at 7pm. 

I do NOT do call out, as a rule,

I have one customer who manages a few properties that I will do the odd emergency for if I haven't had a beer,

He knows my prices, so will only call if it is a genuine emergency,

Last one was £60 for <1hr within 2 miles from my house, at 7pm. 
And your customer will also know the quality, standard and reliability of your work and they will know you will do a proper job, not cut corners, not rip them off, But charge a reasonable rate proportional to what work is done. Anybody with their head on the right way up will be willing to pay a premium for quality work done outside of normal working hours. If you under price yourself for out of hours call out work it can make it harder to justify your normal hours rates.

Doc H.