Can 2 Ovens Be On One Circuit?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas0n

Reaction score
Hi

I need some advice on this one. In a kitchen that I am working on there is a siemens 7 kw hob and two siemens 3.6kw ovens. There are two 6mm cables that are run to the area of the ovens and hob. one of the cables I am going to use for the hob on a 32amp mcb.

With the other 6mm cable I was wondering if it was possible to load both ovens from it on a 32amp mcb, cable calcs show this is sufficient for the cookers but would this be acceptable when getting tested and inspected.

Theres a  cooker outlet plate designed for two 6 mms , using a single isolator for both units.  Not the best but seen it done all the time.

Or split the feed and fit two isolators.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking that to Andy. It would be good to know if anybody else has done this. Even though the calculations add up and nothing in the regs says you cant I haven't done it this way before and in the back of my mind it feels as though I am taking a chance. I don't really want to take a chance do it this way for someone to test and inspect it later and say its not safe. Ive been a qualified sparky for a year now, but as I work for myself there is still a lot I have to learn and I don't want to take on a job and do it wrong. :Salute

Evan Electric-

one of the 6mm cables I am using for the Hob.

I guess I will use the other 6mm to split the feed and use 2 isolators for both ovens. Thanks for the reply, I never had known there was a cooker outlet plate designed for two 6mm cables.

thanks again.

I will be supplying the outlet plate with a 6mm cable, the two outlets i will run into two switched fused spurs which will then go to each cooker so i can isolate them individually.

That's my plan for the morning

:D

Do the two appliances need individual protection though?

I don't know, honestly, that would be down to you, but DP switches would not give that.

I've read a ruling on that somewhere ....one of the Q&A s   I forget ......  definitely shows one existing cooker supply modified to feed a hob and an oven .

Loading was less than the original upright cooker with oven, hob & grille .      Just split level.   OK the one isolator kills hob & oven  .....well it did that before when it was on cooker.  

Appendix H On Site Guide...

Page 176   H4  "Cooker circuits in household and similar premises"

gives guidance about one circuit supplying two or more cooking appliances...

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Specs I knew you'd know that . 

I thought you told me a chauffeur would be assigned to drive the van while I wave from the passenger seat ......no sign of him as yet ,  a person of my importance shouldn't be driving himself about  you know .  

Meeting with the Prime Minister last week , drove the van up to those gates across Downing Street  and the cops wouldn't open them !!     " Don't you know who I am " I shouted ....Damn plebs :innocent