How many amps can you plug into a 13 A 2 gang socket?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be worth getting someone in to properly assess the situation. Is there a cooker point of some sort near to that socket? Does your board have a circuit marked cooker?
No cooker point, and here is a pic of the board. There is a switch for cooker hood, washer and oven (there is a washing machine plugged a bit further).
But yea I'll get someone to come and have a look, it's just not worth not spending a bit of cash for this

Attachments

• IMG_20231213_100750.jpg
    IMG_20231213_100750.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I believe they are type tested with 14A from one outlet slightly in excess of 13A and 6A from the other to add a bit more to the overall accessory, 20A in total.

And 20A total was for the nice MK ones Pretty sure any 26A rating would be intermittent loads (which many are) only

BG might be unusual at rating each socket as 13A, it is that 13A total? Can't remember where the 20A figure comes from, it was a long time ago...
MK were the first to say that 20A max applied to their sockets

BG might be unusual at rating each socket as 13A, it is that 13A total? Can't remember where the 20A figure comes from, it was a long time ago...
If a spur cable is 2.5 then max current drawn is rating of cable, i.e.20A only one twin or one single allowed. Bad practice to load twin to 20A. Regs assume no one will load twin to 20A but some diy will.

If a spur cable is 2.5 then max current drawn is rating of cable, i.e.20A only one twin or one single allowed. Bad practice to load twin to 20A. Regs assume no one will load twin to 20A but some diy will.
Max amps for 2.5 is 26, dependent on installation method. Trouble with the general public is that they are not aware of limitations of sockets, not that they often plug 2 high draw items in at the same time, can't afford the electric these days 😀

Latest posts