career advice need as much info as possible!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyt

Reaction score
hi everyone

i need all the help i can get here!

i started my apprenticeship when i left school, it was with the glasgow city council. 2 months in and my father was murdered, i took this really badly and when i went back to work i obviously wasnt in the right frame of mind and was paid off a few weeks later now this was a really bad time for me personally but i eventually got back on the road to becoming a spark and started working with a company which was liquidised 3months later which ment i was out of work yet again, since then the recession has hit and employers arent willing to take anyone on im now 24 and feel like im on the brink of losing any chance i have of becoming an electrician! all these tests i done at college are they just a waste? or will some of them still be useable and help towards becoming an electrician? any help as where to go or what to do would be deeply appreciated!! can i become an electrician by going to college? or do i need that employer to back me up for the on-site experience? or should i go do a private course with olci, ics etc any feedback would be appreciated.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 05:59 ---------- Previous post was made at 05:03 ----------

also willing to travel anywhere as long as i can get my papers!

Welcome to the forum. The advice I will give initially is do not post duplicate threads. If every member posted two or three copies of everything the forum would be very cumbersome to navigate. I have deleted your other copies of this question.

Doc H.

Amazing all these electricians and not 1 can give a little info!

Give them time its late on a Sunday.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:37 ----------

Ok jonnyt, as you have witnessed times are hard, if you want to be an electrician I am afraid its up to you now, go to college and get your exam results and qualifications, if you can find any financial help along the way all the better.

Your fathers murder will always have a bearing on your future, but, this can be made good if you become the person you want to be, and in doing so make your dad proud and keep his memory alive.

Go for it lad, you have nothing to loose.