cash jobs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bad day explode

i work with people in different trade, usually works out alright, keeps us all busy being able to tackle all aspects of job, but lately they are really getting on my nips,

i always try to do things by the book, bonding, RCD, cable zone, test certs,

as i am sure you all know the price starts pushing up.

they are getting on at me now about testing and certifying, the time it takes and charging, i am getting questions like

why do you have to test and cert for cash jobs, what if the customer wants a cheap job, we will end up loosing jobs, someone else will just do it.

what do you?

do you just stick it in, quick live test get paid and never mention it again?

you pay to have it done properly or not at all, if it all goes **** up the buck stops with you.

And no 'you cant run in the wires and i will connect up'.

weather u test or not ur still liable for any problems.

i would always test ..

Test it all as you would, give a cert, cash is a seperate matter.

Even if they want to pay cash even for a little job I always think its best to do basic tests just to be safe.

you pay to have it done properly or not at all, if it all goes **** up the buck stops with you. And no 'you cant run in the wires and i will connect up'.
they would be all over the shop, bent twisted, joined,scraped sheathed to the core,

then nicely plasted over and it would work

This actually happened to me today!!

I had finished off 2nd fixing a 2.5mm kitchen ring today, got my tester out and it failed r2 continuity tests..

As it happened I'd managed to miss one of the CPCs in a really awkward SW FS :( :( :(

Once I'd fixed it all tests passed no problem....

So testing is very important!!

This is what seperates us from the cowboys.

I can take payment by card, cheque, and cash anyway the wish to pay is fine.

They in return get a fully compliant and tested installation.

Just as NozSpark says, even on your own install it is so easy to pick up a major fault such as no continuity on an earth, which potentially could be very dangerous.

Testing and certification is a must, and a duty.

Times are hard and I guess some may be tempted, I would rather sit at home and go through my paperwork, make a few calls and chase up past quotes than take on a job that they want me to just bang it in.

thanks for the replies, i will continue to test and cert my work

Yes, just keep up the good work, it will pay dividends in the long run.

I have worked alongside some right cowboys, and I have had customers complaining all the time about them to me, then they often say "your the only one we have had no complaints about".

Its so nice to hear when all you do is your job.

i think other trades can get away with more if its not seen, this does not apply to electricians.

Who are these "other trades" ? Whoever they are , they will never understand that electrics are done properly or not at all . I know a builder who has been doing his own electrics for years, to save paying a sparks. Certifying has stopped him now though.

Many builders also thought they could install gas appliances too , for the same reason.

Deke

Who are these "other trades" ? Whoever they are , they will never understand that electrics are done properly or not at all . I know a builder who has been doing his own electrics for years, to save paying a sparks. Certifying has stopped him now though. Many builders also thought they could install gas appliances too , for the same reason.
You find a lot of these types measure their competence with a working:not-blown-up ratio. Working doesn't necessarily mean correctly, or safely.

Who are these "other trades" ? Whoever they are , they will never understand that electrics are done properly or not at all . I know a builder who has been doing his own electrics for years, to save paying a sparks. Certifying has stopped him now though. Many builders also thought they could install gas appliances too , for the same reason.

Deke
You find a lot of these types measure their competence with a working:not-blown-up ratio. Working doesn't necessarily mean correctly, or safely.
, no cpc and it all works

10 spurs off spurs and it could work for years untill the boiler goes and they plug in loads of heaters

Doesnt matter how the payment is made, I always test & cert if only to cover my own back.

i dont get this cash thing with them, if something serious happend i honestly dont think anyone could get off by deny all knowledge of the job

the cert is the only proof the job was done properly

i dont get this cash thing with them, if something serious happend i honestly dont think anyone could get off by deny all knowledge of the jobthe cert is the only proof the job was done properly
Tested.

The Boys

Doesnt matter how the payment is made, I always test & cert if only to cover my own back.
One of the things I`m known for, and is frequently quoted; especially to private landlords "he won`t bend the rules".

I had a private landlord recently tell me he has two other sparx he uses, in a different area. He likes my work; however one of the others doesn`t charge him for certs, and the other one is even cheaper, as he works "cash - no certificate".

I explained that everybody itemisies in different ways. Some include an administration charge, some include a cert. charge; and others just "hide" the extra costs in the labour or materials. I`ve just fitted 6 smoke / heat alarms to the communal area of a block of flats; along with 2 em. lights.

He had 10 seperate certs. for that - SOMEBODY pays for your time.

You`re either a sparx, or a cowboy. Ignoring "5 day / week wonders"; or which scam you`re with - this is what the difference boils down to:

You certify your work - you`re a sparky :)

You prefer cash - no cert - you`re a cowboy :(

Which course do you want? (rhetorical question)

;)

KME

One of the things I`m known for, and is frequently quoted; especially to private landlords "he won`t bend the rules".I had a private landlord recently tell me he has two other sparx he uses, in a different area. He likes my work; however one of the others doesn`t charge him for certs, and the other one is even cheaper, as he works "cash - no certificate".

I explained that everybody itemisies in different ways. Some include an administration charge, some include a cert. charge; and others just "hide" the extra costs in the labour or materials. I`ve just fitted 6 smoke / heat alarms to the communal area of a block of flats; along with 2 em. lights.

He had 10 seperate certs. for that - SOMEBODY pays for your time.

You`re either a sparx, or a cowboy. Ignoring "5 day / week wonders"; or which scam you`re with - this is what the difference boils down to:

You certify your work - you`re a sparky :)

You prefer cash - no cert - you`re a cowboy :(

Which course do you want? (rhetorical question)

;)

KME
that about sums it up :)