cash jobs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an interesting conversation with a taxi driver tonight, he was taking me to college, he rewired his house about a year ago him and a "sparky" mate, as we talked it turned out his "sparky" was a fellow taxi driver that had passed his electricians course about 4 years ago , but could not find work, so stayed driving taxi's just doing the odd job here and there to keep his hand in ! ! ! he couldn't see why I looked in a disapproving manor.

Reminds me of a job I went to look at once, client says the house has been rewired expertly because the bloke that did it was a fireman .Couldn't see the logic in it TBH.
Sparky999?

Firebrad?

Reminds me of a job I went to look at once, client says the house has been rewired expertly because the bloke that did it was a fireman .
I did my apprenticeship working for a fireman.

Installed a couple of extra storage heaters for a family member today, free of charge, new CU required and no bonding in place. TT supply and couldn't find the earth rod, had a Ze of 35ohm so could have whacked em' in and gone home, no certs. Instead I put in a new rod and did the gas and water bonds which took me most of yesterday drilling, trunking and crawling around places I didn't want to be. All circuits tested (including existing storage heaters) and certified.

My point is, even if you're running at a loss on a job, it must be tested properly, and then you can sleep at night. Please don't go down the road of corner cutting, these things have a habit of coming back and biting you on the rear.

bad day explode i work with people in different trade, usually works out alright, keeps us all busy being able to tackle all aspects of job, but lately they are really getting on my nips,

i always try to do things by the book, bonding, RCD, cable zone, test certs,

as i am sure you all know the price starts pushing up.

they are getting on at me now about testing and certifying, the time it takes and charging, i am getting questions like

why do you have to test and cert for cash jobs, what if the customer wants a cheap job, we will end up loosing jobs, someone else will just do it.

what do you?

do you just stick it in, quick live test get paid and never mention it again?
You are quite right. I had the same problem today with my boss, i told him im not a bodge it and leg it. I have got better things to do than to sit in court trying to defend myself because i was being rushed. Do the tests properly for your own sake.

Installed a couple of extra storage heaters for a family member today, free of charge, new CU required and no bonding in place. TT supply and couldn't find the earth rod, had a Ze of 35ohm so could have whacked em' in and gone home, no certs. Instead I put in a new rod and did the gas and water bonds which took me most of yesterday drilling, trunking and crawling around places I didn't want to be. All circuits tested (including existing storage heaters) and certified. My point is, even if you're running at a loss on a job, it must be tested properly, and then you can sleep at night. Please don't go down the road of corner cutting, these things have a habit of coming back and biting you on the rear.
This is one of the best examples I have seen in this forum(there are other examples), outlining the difference between us and them.

It is an example I will always remember, when I am next time in the same position.

Reminds me of a job I went to look at once, client says the house has been rewired expertly because the bloke that did it was a fireman .Couldn't see the logic in it TBH.
Reminds me of a job i was doing a few years back , I was fitting electric meters for seimens and I come to this house go in and start doing my checks . I can feel a set of eyes burning into my back so I turned round said all right , I was greeted by a plonker of the highest order . This bloke would not shut up doing my head in telling me he was head of training for edf and how he re wired his house . i got the martindale plug in tester out to test the nearest socket to the c/u and to my delight it was reverse polarity as was the next one and the one after that . His face was a picture as I put these horrible and super sticky warning notices on the said sockets told him about the fault and advised him to call a expert in to fix it.

One of the things I`m known for, and is frequently quoted; especially to private landlords "he won`t bend the rules".I had a private landlord recently tell me he has two other sparx he uses, in a different area. He likes my work; however one of the others doesn`t charge him for certs, and the other one is even cheaper, as he works "cash - no certificate".

I explained that everybody itemisies in different ways. Some include an administration charge, some include a cert. charge; and others just "hide" the extra costs in the labour or materials. I`ve just fitted 6 smoke / heat alarms to the communal area of a block of flats; along with 2 em. lights.

He had 10 seperate certs. for that - SOMEBODY pays for your time.

You`re either a sparx, or a cowboy. Ignoring "5 day / week wonders"; or which scam you`re with - this is what the difference boils down to:

You certify your work - you`re a sparky :)

You prefer cash - no cert - you`re a cowboy :(

Which course do you want? (rhetorical question)

;)

KME
can you come do me a cert please KME, cos Im not gonna do one for my house till Im finished,

and I promise, NO cash,cos I know your not a cowboy.

in fact, NO payment at all,

thanks Buddy. :D