Cat 5 Or 6

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shopped about a lot im terrible for it wont get anything unless its a bargin lol i never fitted the stuff properly only ready made cables in the house looks a bit of a pig to work on fiddly as hell.

The last two major installs I have carried out have been with cat6 cable and associated terminals. In my honest opinion cat5 would have done the same job.

The difference in small installs say 5 or 6 terminals and one server is negligible.

Cat5e and 6 will both run 1Gbps at 100m if installed correctly, Cat 6 will have better headroom. Cat6 or shielded would be the better option if your distributing HDMI etc over it..

I don't know where Ash is picking up Cat5 (I presume he means 5e) for 5p a meter, if he is then I expect it is CCA cable with I would avoid like the plague. CCA cable might work on day one and with it you can have problems with Poe.

If someone wants to put in fibre - you can always get pre terminated!

Cat5e and 6 will both run 1Gbps at 100m if installed correctly, Cat 6 will have better headroom. Cat6 or shielded would be the better option if your distributing HDMI etc over it..

I don't know where Ash is picking up Cat5 (I presume he means 5e) for 5p a meter, if he is then I expect it is CCA cable with I would avoid like the plague. CCA cable might work on day one and with it you can have problems with Poe.

If someone wants to put in fibre - you can always get pre terminated!
I dont think you can actually get cat5 anymore, it was the standard before 5e [enhanced] came about,

if you can still get it then it prob is less than 5p a metre.

saying that, at a quick calc, it would seem on my last invoice I paid about 13p/metre for 5e,

maybe I was just ripped off.!  :eek:

There is a little corner shop near to me, cannot remember the name for the life of me!.....Andy will be along later tomremind me no doubt.

I think i pay about £40 for 305m unless it is on offer.

be carefuls there is some very cheap CCA data cable out there ( CCA.  Copper Clad. Aluminium )... This is shucking fight in my very humble personal opinion , gained through 25 years of installing networks