CCTV camera system advice please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwin42

Reaction score
Hi I am putting together a CCTV system for work.

The cameras will not be monitored just used for reference if necessary and will be high value site.

I need 5 fixed bullet outdoor cameras, 4-5mb

Also need 9 fixed dome cameras internally, 3-5mb.

I think an ip system is indicated.

Budget is £1.5k

Hoping someone can help suggest what cameras are a good buy at the moment and what system (recorder that can handle 14 cameras, screen, cables) we would need around this to be practical?

hikvision seem decent enough, i have a few of their 4mp cameras and they are far superior to other manufacturers that claim similar mp. no cheap though so cameras + recorder will prob be above your budget and thats before installation costs

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply. Hikvision are fine and can source 5 5mp bullet cameras and 9 3mp dome cameras for £1.4k, will go a little over budget but think we can stretch for a better system.

Can you recommend a 14+ channel poe enabled recorder to run this setup?

If we dont want it on the internet do we still need a router?

Thanks!

hikvision do make their own recorders with POE built in, i guess thats a good place to start. never used them though, mine use blue iris on a VM

you dont need a router unless you are wanting external access

We have upped our budget and decided on hikvision cameras with POE install and 6TB drive. Apparently the cameras use compressed data so this will last a month. Thanks for the comments and help! 

I can't comment much on this topic, but thanks to Andy and Slipshod for their input so far.  Edwin42, please come back and tell us about your final solution once you get it all up and working.

Doc H,

Last edited by a moderator: