ccu chased in wall.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madeinengland

Reaction score
hi guys. got a job to do round a mates house. he has a ccu about head height and wants a socket put in below it for a freezer so no further than 5 foot away. but the ccu is chased into the wall so the front of it sits flush to the wall like a light switch,plug socket etc. how the hell are you supposed to get a new circuit into this ccu? a 30 minute job has as usual become a pain in the arse

Id be very careful puttig a socket below it as the cables may be running behind the wall directly below

Just a thought

are the walls dot and dabed, if so carefully cut out for your socket then push a rod up

already have that in mind M4TTY. the wall is the front wall. my mate lives in a maisonette. you go through his front door and in front of you going up to the left is the stairs. on the right on the front wall is the ccu. he has an outside socket that is on an rcd in the ccu.i've just had a thought to maybe using those cables from the outside socket and change the rcd to a circuit breaker.he reckons the only use for the outside socket is for the lawn mower so he could use a normal socket with rcd adaptor plugged in. what do you reckon to that?

i've just had a thought to maybe using those cables from the outside socket and change the rcd to a circuit breaker.he reckons the only use for the outside socket is for the lawn mower so he could use a normal socket with rcd adaptor plugged in. what do you reckon to that?
I wouldn;t. The outside socket should be RCD protected, that's it, no ifs or buts. What's wrong with leaving the RCD in and feeding the new socket from it as well?

As for the original problem, you just get a cable in in the same way as you do to any flush mounted accessory, chase\notch the plaster and drop the cable in the allocated cable entry points. Just treat it like a big galv knockout box.

All sockets should now be RCD protected, so leaving the RCD would protect the new socket as well as the old outside socket.

All sockets should now be RCD protected, so leaving the RCD would protect the new socket as well as the old outside socket.
Unless its not for general use like a Freezer (and labled as such) assuming RCD is not needed for other reasons like cables in wall > 50mm etc....

Unless its not for general use like a Freezer (and labled as such) assuming RCD is not needed for other reasons like cables in wall > 50mm etc....
Applaud Smiley