changing domestic DB where some cpc's are missing?????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james KEI

Reaction score
Hi all,

My girlfriend's dad wants their fuse board changed, currently it's an old 3036 one and he wants it changed to allow for some work to be done shortly (doesn't want to end up with more than one DB) and for a bit more up to date protection.

Problem is, some of the lighting circuits don't have CPC's. All the fittings are plastic and some selv down lights.

I read the NIC's guide to doing this a month or so ago but wanted to ask the question on here to see what people would generally do to do this job and certificate it.

Where do you stand generally, when changing the DB, how far do you have to go? Do you have to look over all of the electrics in the whole house, I take it you have to test every circuit (so a bit like a periodic) and then intoroduce RCD/RCBO protection (I take it you do) to everything which i'm thinking could cause big problems.

Sorry for my ignorance, I've been an electrician for 10 years but have generally been in the commercial/industrial sector, now i'm out on my own i'm trying to get in the swing of domestic stuff and all of the do's & dont's, part-p etc.

Thanks for any help,

James

The NICEIC guide tells you all you need to know and how to do it in this case.

If you are worried about other faults, do some tests on the existing circuits first to ensure there are no IR problems, earth faults or borrowed neutrals.

With an install that sounds old like this, a full PIR would be sensible first before you do any work. You might find there's a lot else wrong, then again it may all be fine.

Why not look at the work involved in rewiring the lighting? And are you the one going to get the other work?

test all the circuits first. give him a price for any extra work needed. price depending on how much you like the outlaws. If he doesn't want any extra work doing leave it alone until he does.