Chasing socket boxes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leccyman

Reaction score
Hi Guys hope your all well.

Had my first job this week. Simple enough, just like for like. Customer had new conservatory so i had to replace existing sockets and wiring for the light. When the inner walls were built i went to fit my metal sockets. Here lies the question:

1. What is the best way to chase out the bricks(breeze blocks) for the boxes.

2. When fitting the capping on my cable do you nail the edge of the capping or nail into the edge. I nailed into the edge. :pray

Thanks guys

1. What is the best way to chase out the bricks(breeze blocks) for the boxes.2. When fitting the capping on my cable do you nail the edge of the capping or nail into the edge. I nailed into the edge. :pray

Thanks guys
1. I too use a box cutter (well worth the money spent)

2. I nail into the wall and use the head of the nail to hold capping because if i nail through the capping i cant hold the nails anymore as my fingers take a punnishing:(

I don't do an awful lot of sunk stuff so I use my hammer and bolster/ cold chisel to make the holes for the metal boxes.

My method of fixing capping is to drill a few holes either side of the capping, fit red rawl plugs and hammer in some plasterboard nails- they fit perfect and the nail heads are extra wide to give an excellent grip on the capping.

I stick capping on with sticks like sh*t, much easier than nailing, especially on very hard or very soft walls.
I've done the same but have used reds and screws to hold capping securely incase the plasterer has gone without, the night before and has the hump .. ;)

Use SDS with rotation stop and Lump and Scutch chisel to finish off.

Don't use much capping prefer oval and fix with plaster board nails if poss or drill and plug if to hard.

No I actually fit the tubefirst, then grommet the hole in the box, then fit the cable in the box. I then fix the box to the wall. the hole actually keeps the conduit in place alot of the time at the bottom, and at the top the hole in the ceiling keeps the conduit in place to plaster it up.

AndyGuinness

No I actually fit the tubefirst, then grommet the hole in the box, then fit the cable in the box. I then fix the box to the wall. the hole actually keeps the conduit in place alot of the time at the bottom, and at the top the hole in the ceiling keeps the conduit in place to plaster it up.AndyGuinness
+1

Find it better if chasing in, use capping on new build pre plaster/boarded walls as it is flatter, but to be honest don't find it any quicker.

If you keep your drops nice and straight, (Use rag/old towel/curtains to straighten em up if not) then they slide in nice and easy, then into box and fix as above :)