Chasing socket boxes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys what is oval????????
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/MTOV25.JPG

I prefer to use oval where possible, comes in various sizes.

I find that you can create smaller channels which makes the first fix part of the job neater.

Quick tip:- Between socket back boxes, rather than use a piece of capping or oval conduit use a coupler & a male & female bush, keeps the boxes in line, secure and evenly spaced.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CO20CUPG.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CO20MBB.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CO20FBB.html

default_good%20luck.gif

Just bought an Armeg round cutter - well impressed on brick - got most of the debris out really quickly and an easy finish up with the SDS on hammer stop. I've heard mixed reviews on the square cutter - so haven't jumped just yet. I tend not to use capping or oval unless they are getting a plasterer in - I use ty-wrap bases secured with a screw to hold them followed by PVA and a stiff mix of plasterboard adhesive to give a rough fill. Works a treat. Also good for metal boxes in loose walls.

Guys

Looking at your responses i have 1 thought. Surely using the oval on a first new build fix, it will still out from the brickwork too far. Or have i got the wrong end of the stick.

I have attached photos cos I know you guys like to pick. LOL This is how i did it.

Capping 1.jpg

Capping 2.jpg

Capping 3.jpg

Capping 4.jpg

Capping 5.jpg

Oval will need chopping in if its going to be plastered capping is the way to go. Little bit worried about your safe zones in your pictures.

As I have already stated i have not installed any new cable just put it back where it came from!!!!!!! Point taken about safe zone. :innocent

a little more precision to hit the nail and not the capping will be good too:D

GuysLooking at your responses i have 1 thought. Surely using the oval on a first new build fix, it will still out from the brickwork too far. Or have i got the wrong end of the stick.

I have attached photos cos I know you guys like to pick. LOL This is how i did it.
Leccyman i am not trying to have a pop at your work this is only constructive criticism

1. I would be very carefully about your safe zones in two of your pics they could be marginal

2. You are not allowed to use the old conductor colored cables ( black- Red)

3. Next time try to sink your boxes flush with the brickwork / block work it leaves you with a little more space when you come to connecting the accessories and leaving the boxes like that the plasterers will hate you because it makes their job a lot harder and you could find your boxes filled with plaster out of spite! :_|

As i said this is only constructive and is not meant to be a dig;)

As I have already stated i have not installed any new cable just put it back where it came from!!!!!!! Point taken about safe zone. :innocent
I don't want to turn this thread into criticism of your work, but are you saying those wires were already on the outside of the house before the new conservatory was built :)

First time I've seen a surface mount switch box that's going to be plastered in.

Just looking at the first picture, I would have capped right upto the back box..

;)

Sellers...Yes it is being dot an dabbed and i was not sure if clipping was allowed as was told the cable needed protection during installation

Pro Dave....As already stated there was already a conservatory there with all the wiring already there. The customer has had a new conservatory with existing wires i have just refitted them

With relation to zones im not really sure what the problem is(I know this will probably raise some eyebrows) I understand all cable should be fitted within 150mm of the top of the wall and the same verically, and also run vertically or horizontally to an accessory. I have tried to achieve this with the existing cable. Maybe in hindsight I should have renewed the cable and done a better job.

Thanks for the constructive advice....I do appreciate it.

With relation to zones im not really sure what the problem is(I know this will probably raise some eyebrows) I understand all cable should be fitted within 150mm of the top of the wall and the same verically, and also run vertically or horizontally to an accessory. I have tried to achieve this with the existing cable. Maybe in hindsight I should have renewed the cable and done a better job.Thanks for the constructive advice....I do appreciate it.
Your picture capping1, appears to show the cable running at floor level. This is the area where carpenters will be fixing their skirting boards. There is a picture in the on site guide of the safe zones, I don't think it includes along floor level. Nothing wrong with diverting existing cables to new positions, providing they all test out OK of course.

Doc H.

You right Doc it doesnt mention floor level but common sense should have prevailed. Lesson learnt