Chop saws for metal work

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L-E_Fault

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a chop saw for tray, conduit and other metal work jobs. Does anybody else use chop/mitre saws or is it left to the hacksaw.

used a tct chopsaw loads for unistrut, rod and cablofil brackets wouldnt use it on anything other than that.

if you doing lots of the same length may be ok with cutting disc.

will require perhaps more filing of burrs

tct wont be suitable for tray/tube.

I use a 4.5 / 9" disc cutter; purely because its multi-use, and I don`t need another big lump of kit to carry around.

If I was going to, it`d probably be the "evolution rage"; seems like a good piece of kit.....

I use a 4.5 / 9" disc cutter; purely because its multi-use, and I don`t need another big lump of kit to carry around.If I was going to, it`d probably be the "evolution rage"; seems like a good piece of kit.....
I have an evolution circ saw. Selling it off in B&Q for

On my last job we had a large TCT bladed machine. Cut 20/25/32mm conduit, 100x100 trunking and 300mm heavy duty tray all no problem. Yes a bit of deburring with a file but way quicker than cutting with a hacksaw. The only thig I would say is when cutting trunking put some wood inside to keep the shape.

A chop saw will be a lot safer than using a grinder if you are doing a lot of metalwork. I brought one for a job I did and still have all my fingers and toes.

Lee,A TCT blade in a circular will be fine for tray/tube IF it is the correct geometry, feed, speed & material.

As Patch says later, the Evolution range are actually sold for this purpose.
for me and you yes. but for most speed of blade to material seams to be a problem and tct blades aren't cheap

rev: the tct actually give quite a clean cut commpared to abrasive cutting discs

With Patch on this,

buy the Evolution, cold cuts with no bur, has a lower spin but with higher torque, it actually nibbles the material, will cut up to 6mm steel, blade will last up to 100m of cutting through 6mm apparently

With Patch on this, buy the Evolution, cold cuts with no bur, has a lower spin but with higher torque, it actually nibbles the material, will cut up to 6mm steel, blade will last up to 100m of cutting through 6mm apparently
+1

I also use an 18v Dewalt angle grinder with the 1mm thick metal cutting blades, sometimes 18v recip saw as well.

Evo sliding chopsaw is brilliant. got a 110v on offer from Screwfix, spent 1 hour setting 90, 45 and compound angles correctly. it cut 1 piece and packed up!!!

replaced no questions asked ....used virtually every day for 4 months now without a problem and still on original balde!