circuit finding tips

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone got a tone generator that powers off a circuit that you can hear from very far away ?

probably going to be home made i guess. my steinels have a good tone, 10-11khz i think, that you can hear from quite far but steinels have no facility for attaching croc clips so you end up balancing them procariously etc

why

Not sure what you need, you say a tone generator, I have made one for checking what cables go to where using a miniature sounder the sort for alarms etc Maplins sell them, coupled to a 9volt battery & croc clips, just clip on the end of r1 + r2 say got to the other end touch a few cables togeather to find out which cable makes the noise bingo nice and easy ( dead test of course )

Mike.

Photo

anyone got a tone generator that powers off a circuit that you can hear from very far away ?probably going to be home made i guess. my steinels have a good tone, 10-11khz i think, that you can hear from quite far but steinels have no facility for attaching croc clips so you end up balancing them procariously etc
So what is it you're after exactly?

Good question!

So what is it you're after exactly? Good question!
:^O

basically lurch the "tone" you get from steinels when on a live circuit you can hear from far away because of its exact sound frequency. it not need be loud as its "ear piercing" so its a underlying tone. you could have it in on in a busy office without disturbing the enviroment from its volume but you could still hear it 10 rooms down (db cupboard). you do need a good ear tho.

the problem is steinels have those prongs and no proper way of attaching croc clips etc but if there was a box with this tone generator in with std 4mm multimeter sockets you could plug in your leads off you meter ands bob's ya uncle. its a bit much but would be NEAT.

i'd imagine the size to be just like those meter proving units

phew :x

With you. I'd modify the existing leadset myself, but if this unit is going to be left unattended in an occupied office are croc clips really suitable?

do you really want to be disconnecting live ends and putting them on croc clips and leaving the room?

if your going to do that you may aswell loosen the teminals on the accessory and put your probes in and tighten back up together. bit safer if you ask me. Therefore no croc clips, live parts are still insulated and your tester supports itself. Would just be a problem when there isn't much slack on your accessories.

With you. I'd modify the existing leadset myself, but if this unit is going to be left unattended in an occupied office are croc clips really suitable?
would make a full set lurch just as you do for your test kit i.e various types of plug in click rose,electract,lighting busbar to socket for easy connection to tester

obviously would need to leave the scene in no danger as you would in any other way but crocs are deffo needed

this wouldn't be an issue with not lone working but thats the norm the last 10yrs :_| thumb smilie

Hi, I use Metrel MI 2093 Universal, its near 3 years now, never had any problem , very accurate ( in its price category). It has some optional accessories which make job easier (Costly) ;)

Best

Ramin

Latest posts