Clamp Meter Readings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Reaction score
OK, sorry for a long-winded posrt and possibly silly question - I'm sure it's been answered before (but I just can't find it).

As part of my planned NICEIC or ELECSA (haven't deciced which to go with yet - any feedback would be appreciated) assessment, I am proposing to replace the consumer unit at my own property. I do like to think of myself as dilligent and, prior to notifying LBC or doing any of the physical work, I wanted to make sure everything outside of the CU is in good order - a natural part of any pre-work survey in any case.

Ze is lovely (0.18 ohms) and all circuits are nicely over 200 Meg ohms for insulation resistance. Given that I am proposing to fit a dual RCD board, I thought it prudent to ensure that there is no significant earth leakage - seemed like an opportunity to make good use of my Maplin Clamp Meter (got the

I reckon you have a dodgy clamp on metre and it's picking up something else nearby? Maybe Radio 4?

I would as a test, check the compressor's insulation resistance down to earth, if it is a significant value 200M ohms + then disconnect the earth from it and measure it again, see what you get. This is only a short quick check and remember to re-attach the earth. But if the earth is disconnected and you are still getting a reading then it's something else it's picking up

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was made at 10:31 ----------

it's probably just induced current from the motor? So the RCD will see no imbalance.

Thanks MajorOak. I did think it could be induced current.

Equally, I think I may try another clamp meter, also.

Thanks again,

Ian.

Those Maplin jobboids aren`t really suitable for measuring earth leakage - if you want to do that, it`ll be better to invest in a proper "decent" earth leakage clamp meter - like the ones our Forum Sponsor, MeggerMark, sells :) :) :)

As MajorOak suggests, I think you`re seeing induced current in the conductors.

HTH

KME

Those Maplin jobboids aren`t really suitable for measuring earth leakage - if you want to do that, it`ll be better to invest in a proper "decent" earth leakage clamp meter - like the ones our Forum Sponsor, MeggerMark, sells :) :) :) As MajorOak suggests, I think you`re seeing induced current in the conductors.

HTH

KME
Thanks KME - yes, guess I was being a tad optimistic about it's abilities. Will check out the ones that MeggerMark sells.

Cheers,

Ian.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 13:01 ----------

Hi IanT, I did not think it was a stupid question at all.... I thought it was a really interesting one....and good on you for being interested enough to do all your experiments....john..
Thanks John.

I appreciate this.

Best regards,

Ian.

Thanks KME - yes, guess I was being a tad optimistic about it's abilities. Will check out the ones that MeggerMark sells. Cheers,

Ian.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 13:01 ----------

Thanks John.

I appreciate this.

Best regards,

Ian.
I can say that the ones MM has are well up for the job most of us will put them to!

Very reasonable also.

BTW, not a stupid question, one has to ask these things to learn.

I can say that the ones MM has are well up for the job most of us will put them to!Very reasonable also.

BTW, not a stupid question, one has to ask these things to learn.
Thanks Sidewinder.

I really appreciate all the advice from all of you guys - this is really a great forum and a great place to learn.

Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian.

IT IS WITHOUT DOUBT THE DOGS 'BACK WHEELS' OF EARTH LEAKAGE METERS
Nicely put.

And, even better, the Financial Controller has approved my business case!!!

Can anyone tell me how I get the deal?

Cheers again.

Ian.

Nicely put. And, even better, the Financial Controller has approved my business case!!!

Can anyone tell me how I get the deal?

Cheers again.

Ian.
Probably best to PM Megger Mark, tell him your intentions and what you are looking for and I am sure he will advise you of the most up to date prices and any deals available.

Doc H.

I just phoned him up and 'did the deal' arrived in a couple of days.MM....if you're watching...what have you in DC clamp Meters?
MM is ALWAYS watching.....

Even when your are...................

Well..

You know where you were...

And MM has PM'd all the pictures around the forum..

before he puts the video clips on You Tube!

:| :innocent :C

I just phoned him up and 'did the deal' arrived in a couple of days.MM....if you're watching...what have you in DC clamp Meters?
Spoke with him today.

It's in the post already! :)

Glad it arrived, always watching just sometimes not looking.

Have a look here mate

MM is ALWAYS watching.....Even when your are...................

Well..

You know where you were...

And MM has PM'd all the pictures around the forum..

before he puts the video clips on You Tube!

:| :innocent :C
I was watching with my eyes wide shut!!

Spoke with him today. It's in the post already! :)
Thanks for the order mate, don't forget it's on a UPS delivery not post.

I would just like to say a really big thank you to Megger Mark for outstanding service.

Placed the order at 12:30 yesterday - UPS man turned up at 08:00 this morning (seriously). Not even 24 hours from order to delivery - how on Earth is that done?

Really pleased with the Di-Log 6507 DL6507. Really nice piece of kit; sturdy construction and a great range of features. Now, I must put it away and do some work - as opposed to clamping my meter tails and operating random appliances, which has occupied most of my morning so far!!!

Once again, Mark, many thanks - I will certainly be recommending you.

Cheers,

Ian.

I would just like to say a really big thank you to Megger Mark for outstanding service. Placed the order at 12:30 yesterday - UPS man turned up at 08:00 this morning (seriously). Not even 24 hours from order to delivery - how on Earth is that done?

Really pleased with the Di-Log 6507 DL6507. Really nice piece of kit; sturdy construction and a great range of features. Now, I must put it away and do some work - as opposed to clamping my meter tails and operating random appliances, which has occupied most of my morning so far!!!

Once again, Mark, many thanks - I will certainly be recommending you.

Cheers,

Ian.
Thanks Ian-It's nice when a plan comes together
default_good%20luck.gif