Clean earth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L-E_Fault

Reaction score
I have a clean earth system used with a UPS, the DB is a single phase supply with a clean earth (rod) I have a few questions about it I'll bullet point them to try stop me rambling 

- the clean earth (rod) and dirty earth (swa armouring from main panel) are ultimately joined at the DB through the casing so what's the point of a separate earth?

-r1 + r2, and Zs to clean or dirty earth?  

- can I run a cpc from a local socket to provide a "dirty earth" for the ups sockets?

thanks

Mmm,

That's totally not how a 'clean' earth system works.

What is the purpose of this,?

Are you an electrician, or householder?

Is this an outbuilding or simply a submain,?

What are you trying to achieve? Last time I had anything to do with a “clean” earth was for instrumentation in a steel framed building, a total waste of time.

If it’s for sound recording then an isolation transformer may be a way.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I understand it a "clean earth" system takes its earth direct from the MET, and only equipment requiring a clean earth is connected to this system. If it is for audio equipment then you may well be better off using an isolating transformer as you have full control over the earth and what is connected to it, a problem with your thought about rods etc is the potential for creating earth loops which will only increase any noise in the circuit.

Another point to watch out for is using screened cables, there are 2 schools of thought on screened cables, one is to ground both ends of the screen and any imbalances, the other is to only ground one end, Personally I only ground one end as I have encountered problems before with grounding both ends.

If you are doing a clean earth then I'd make sure that the earth went back to the main earth at the source of supply and not the earth in the sub board, as this is not the MET. More information would help you get a better answer, there's lots of really knowledgeable people on here but they'll need more info to advise you properly, they're a good bunch but unfortunately non of them are psychic.  

Our clean earths were always routed back to MET . Sockets often had two,earths ...one for the connected equipment, the other for earthing backbox and screws. We always used MK T bar Earth sockets never had any issues
Exactly, the trouble is sometimes people don't understand where the MET is, they think it's the earth bar in the board when in fact this is actually an earth marshalling terminal. connecting to this as you are no doubt aware doesn't constitute a clean earth.

Cheers not worked on this before got a bit mixed up. All sorted now.   

Ok Andy, explain?
Russ Andrews, I believe is the purveyor of very expensive yet suspect information and kit for hifi systems, hence the referance to super earth connections that Russ would require you to take a mortgage out on, If I remember correctly. 😀

For example have a glance at a 13A fuse for your plug. Or should I say Super fuse, only £25 each. Have a browse and fill your shopping basket. (delivery is free on orders over £100). 

http://www.russandrews.com/mains-fuses/

Doc H.

Super fuse was the code for the success of the Vulcan bombing raid on Stanley airport.

Sorry, I’m in silly mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need some alterations to the wiring in this place. Anyone know where I can get gold plated silver 2.5mm² T+E?

Knob and tube wiring never really took off in this country, for something like a recording studio it would be ideal

Also does a nice range of sockets where the electrickery comes out faster due to gravity AND a better earth connection as it is closer to the ground.........screen shot attached

View attachment 7910
Is that why they say you should always unwind a roll up extension lead then? The electrickery gets dizzy going round and round. lol

I have pretty much every mains device Russ sells, about £6000 worth of boxes and cables...and I still heard an improvement!! I fitted one internally to my CD player as well as the plug. My impressions: Music is much more listenable, clear, spacious and bass has serious heft, volume can go LOUD without distortion, so live albums are intoxicating, especially through headphones. I also spared a thought for the passion and integrity that goes into the products...Thank you most sincerely Russ.

I just spent 10 minutes wiping the tea off my keyboard after reading that.

But fair game to him, if he has cornered a market for the gullible, and they are happy to be parted from their wealth....