clipping cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ham2002

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have just been asked to have a look at a job in a very old grade 2 listed house with beams in all rooms, i was just wondering if anyone knows how i stand with clipping twin and earth direct to the beams without any mechanical protection to run in a new lighting circuit upstairs. I have looked in the 17th edition and can't seem to find anything in there.

Any ideas would be great

many thanks

Graham

personally dont see a problem with that, put them on a 30ma RCD to give the extra protection.

Hi there,I have just been asked to have a look at a job in a very old grade 2 listed house with beams in all rooms, i was just wondering if anyone knows how i stand with clipping twin and earth direct to the beams without any mechanical protection to run in a new lighting circuit upstairs. I have looked in the 17th edition and can't seem to find anything in there.

Any ideas would be great

many thanks

Graham
The Don's local restaurant has wiring attached to the beams and is clipped in the afore mentioned manner, with no mechanical protection.

(Out of reach, comes to mind)

Don

grade 2 might be worth a call to building control

yours benji

If the cables are surface clipped for the entire length of the circut, they do not require RCD protection 17 th. Edition , unless they are for socket outlets. CJS :)

Never done much of this kind of work but an electrician i know had to use buckle clips to keep job authentic on an old building. Not sure if they are still available though.

batty

Any significant structural alteration for a grade 2 listed building will need "listed buildings consent". I would think that surface clipping cables might need approval!!
I agree,,,,,maybe worth a call to Labc

but then what are the alternatives ???? conduit ? :^O

listed buildings,,, what a load of pooh

Never done much of this kind of work but an electrician i know had to use buckle clips to keep job authentic on an old building. Not sure if they are still available though.batty
Got a few hundred of `em (second hand). They`re currently nailed to the laths in my walls; doing absolutely nowt!! :^O :^O:^O