CO detector

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ichinen

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering wether or not the CO detector is necessary in a kitchen with a gas hob. The boiler is not fitted there so do I need to fit one?

Thanks

Wouldn't have thought so? CO is produced when gas burns in an oxygen-starved environment.

A gas cooker has an open (and visible) flame - loads of air. In a boiler, there could be blocked airways that hinder the combustion process and produce some CO as well as carbon dioxide and water.

But I could well be wrong... ;)

Wouldn't have thought so? CO is produced when gas burns in an oxygen-starved environment.A gas cooker has an open (and visible) flame - loads of air. In a boiler, there could be blocked airways that hinder the combustion process and produce some CO as well as carbon dioxide and water.

But I could well be wrong... ;)
you mean like when they have all doors shut, and no vents into the kitchen for oxygen to get in, depriving the fire of as much oxygen as it needs (but by this time, your food should be cooked....)

Would agree in principal, Andy, but I think 99% of doors are such lousy fits that a gale can blow under them. No shortage of air there! :D

but I think 99% of doors are such lousy fits that a gale can blow under them. :D
and if you ever worked in council houses, even with the door firmly shut, you can still get loads of air flow through all the kicked holes in the doors

and if you ever worked in council houses, even with the door firmly shut, you can still get loads of air flow through all the kicked holes in the doors
But a fair chance that there wasn't a shilling in the meter, so little chance of any gas, let alone unburnt stuff.