Replacing hardwired interlinked smoke detector with combo smoke / CO

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brix

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my rental flats to meet new CO detector regs for rooms with gas appliances. I have BRK hard wired interlinked smoke / heat detectors in all rooms and hallways. BRK no longer available in UK. They were only replaced in past couple of years so don't want to change them all. I'd also rather use hard wired than stick a battery operated CO unit in each flat.

Is there a hardwired combo smoke / CO detector (and also combo heat / CO) which I could use to simply replace one of the detectors in each group, which would be a compatible with the rest of the linked detectors?

It is not recommended to interconnect different brands of smoke alarm. (For fear of damage or failure to operate when required.)
CO alarms do NOT have to be interlinked with smoke alarms, so you can have a battery only or mains powered (But not interlinked) CO alarm in rooms as required.

IMO I would throw them all out and start again with Aico alarms, all radio linked and the 3000 series are mains wired and not as expensive as the battery only options, be aware that the 3000 series back up battery is only capable of about three moths operation without the mains connected.

Any room with a fire or smoke producing unit like Kitchens require CO/heat not smoke alarms, have a look at the Aico web site, absolute mine of information: https://www.aico.co.uk/series/3000-series/

Last edited:
IMO I would throw them all out and start again
In an ideal world I would agree, but at this time it would be a waste of money since he only needs a CO alarm. CO alarms do NOT have to be interlinked to smoke alarms.

I hate to point this out :cry:, but Aico 3000 devices, are not radio interlinked as standard, they require the Ei3000MRF "smart module" which is an extra £56/ detector, so a standalone CO is cheaper (£20 from Screwfix or the Aico 5 year battery operated CO detector £26, Amazon)

I would agree, but its a bit like not fitting fire rated downlighter a false economy IMO especially if installing these things for yourself and protecting your own loved ones.