Coincidence Eh ! Two In A Row .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sort of thing seems to be endemic to our trade .

Builder phones to say 2nd fix can be done ,  we'd actually forgotten about the job TBH , so go there yesterday , we'd wired a couple of lights and taken some wiring out for him . So , fit new lights ..... re-install wiring in garage and re- fit fluorescent fitting .

Existing three plate connections in fluoro with our feed running from there , switch on , it works and the new ones too . 

Try the 2 way switch ...BANG ! ..trips out .   "How can that happen , it was working ...must be the other strapper has a fault " 

Switches off to see if a wire is trapped etc

"Hang on , one of the new LED  GU10 lamps has blown , its all black ....try it now" 

Power on , new lights on, great  ,  try the fluoro  2 way , BANG !  Tripped again ,  theres a fault on this 2 way somewhere .

Hang on , theres another LED lamp gone .      LEDS are on a seperate 1 way switch .....pure coincidence they both decided to blow as we tried the 2 way .    Duff lamps supplied with fittings .   

Its like some demon follows you around making $hytte happen :C

I had an odd fault the other day, house had series of downlighters in the living room positioned all around the edge of the ceiling, and a pair of wall lights, uplighter style but with a sort of opaque coloured shade, very nice they were, she bought them in Spain she told me.

Anyways the uplighters were on one side of a 2 gang switch along with some in cupboard lighting, downlighters on the other. Lady told me that at some indeterminate point, the downlighters had gone from being switched by the cupboard lighting to the main lighting. "Ah thinks I, someones obviously been messing with the JB or switch. Easy job" Quick enquiry yielded that yes, she had had a few tradesmen in, Security alarm guys being one.

Switch wiring checked out correctly, as did the JB. Hmm scratching my head a bit with it. Checked the fittings themselves with a meter and current flowing when it should and not when it shouldn't. Really got me thinking now

Until I realised that each wall light had a downlighter positioned exactly above it, and the bulbs in them had blown. So when you switched the downlighters on, light flooded straight into the fancy wall light fittings, making them appear to be on, but when you switched them on proper nothing happened coz the bulbs had gone.

learnt a lesson that day :)

Last edited by a moderator: