Compressor Tripping MCB

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
An existing customer rang me today regarding their compressor tripping the breaker intermitantly.

I have never got involved with compressors before, but being an good customer I went down to see if it could be any other issue. The compressor is a single phase, plugged into a local socket on a 32A ring. The circuit isn't overloaded, also there is an RCD which doesn't trip, so we are looking at a Line Neutral issue. The compressor doesn't trip on start up so that rules out start up current.

A megger on the compressor turned up nothing. So off came the cover of the motor for a little inspection. I haven't experienced many motors, but from what I gather there were 2 capacitors in there, run and start. One of them had a burnt out terminal, so I've popped the spade on the other terminal (same side). I will be going back tomorrow to test the capacitor. Does anyone have any other ideas what to look for?

I rang emr Kerch, used them a couple of times. Just a shame they don't do site visits to save me dismantling the motor from the compressor!

I'll start with testing the capacitors and go from there. I take it I can look for a decent resistance value on the windings too?

An existing customer rang me today regarding their compressor tripping the breaker intermitantly.I have never got involved with compressors before, but being an good customer I went down to see if it could be any other issue. The compressor is a single phase, plugged into a local socket on a 32A ring. The circuit isn't overloaded, also there is an RCD which doesn't trip, so we are looking at a Line Neutral issue. The compressor doesn't trip on start up so that rules out start up current.

A megger on the compressor turned up nothing. So off came the cover of the motor for a little inspection. I haven't experienced many motors, but from what I gather there were 2 capacitors in there, run and start. One of them had a burnt out terminal, so I've popped the spade on the other terminal (same side). I will be going back tomorrow to test the capacitor. Does anyone have any other ideas what to look for?
But the O/L protection on compressors is quite often of the "stick your finger in the air" variety - so I wouldn`t rule it out ....