Conservatory Sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Springerflame

Reaction score
Guys, a little advice if you please.

Customer has this conservatory (see picture) on top of the old coal shed (which is now a shop), attached to his flat.  He wants some sockets in the conservatory.

Ground floor is an estate agents, first floor is his house.  Distribution Boards are in the cellar, and in his flat.

Because the flat has been totally rewired and decorated throughout, he does not want any disturbance in the flat, which I can understand.

So... do I

Break into the ring, and spur off, running cable on the outside of the building (in either conduit or SWA)

or

Run out a whole new circuit in SWA from the DB

It's probably a dumb question, but I don't want to be falling foul of the regs.

Thanks in advance

Alan

2IMG_1391 copy.jpg

Extend the ring & go external...........swa, conduit, FP200 or if your able MI would look best.

break into the ring and run external as long as the cable is rated for external use, no need for swa unless there's a higher chance of mechanical damage. then again it looks like your breaking into the ring near the boards anyway so if there's a spare way might aswell just add your own radial. depends what its like inside the cellar.

Guys, thanks.  Went and had a chat with the customer today, and he is happy for the work to be done.  SWA all the way :)   Now I just need to brush up on Billy's step by step SWA termination post :)

Life would be so much simpler without customers :facepalm:

Customer now wants multiple sockets, so extending the ring is the way forward.  Question now is:

Can I run both legs of the ring using a 4 core SWA using the armour as the CPC ?

I'd probably still go for the radial option if you are going back to the CU/DB and use SWA.

Lollipop circuit?

Hi Dave.  Never heard that term before, so had to google it.  

I am am pretty sure it is not a lollipop circuit.  

There red is a ring down at the bottom Window (see photo, bottom left).  My idea was to run a 4 core SWA in to the conservatory, to maintain the ring configuration, with the added benefit of having to run one cable rather that two.  My concern was whether or not I could use the armour as only cpc.

hopefully that makes some sense.  It does in my head, but lots of things make sense in my head, till I discuss it with others, and then see I'm missing a vital element (like a functioning brain).

Alan

Hi Dave.  Never heard that term before, so had to google it.

I am am pretty sure it is not a lollipop circuit.

There red is a ring down at the bottom Window (see photo, bottom left).  My idea was to run a 4 core SWA in to the conservatory, to maintain the ring configuration, with the added benefit of having to run one cable rather that two.  My concern was whether or not I could use the armour as only cpc.

hopefully that makes some sense.  It does in my head, but lots of things make sense in my head, till I discuss it with others, and then see I'm missing a vital element (like a functioning brain).

Alan
As Andy has said, you will have trouble doing the figure of 8 test with an (effectively) 5 core cable.

I was suggesting a THICKER 3 core cable to run a spur up to the conservatory from where a conventional ring circuit is created, hence "lollipop" but that needs it's own feed from the CU (I have never heard of a lollipop spurred from an existing ring, that would be "interesting")