Contactors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toml

Reaction score
Just wondering does a contactor need a neutral, got a 63a mcg contactor to control a electric heating fuseboard. A1 is a permanent live from the timer and I assume a2 is a switched live? Then top is the incoming feed then the bottom terminals are the outgoing.

The a1 and a2 terminals are the switching to activate the coil, so yes it will need a neutral. a1 line in, and a2 neutral in. The rest of the terminals just act as a switch for the lines.

Not really enough info

IF you are refering to A1 and A2 being the coil connections AND A2 being a permanent feed then if it is single phase you MUST be switching the neutral which is not the right qay of going about it.

If A2 is going to be a switched switched live then the coil will not pull in as there is no p.d.

Just saying

Right it's single phase 230v ac. It's 1,3 and 5 at the top and 2, 4 and 6 at the bottom. I was thinking the live feed from the timer to a1 and switched live to a2 (standard 2ch timer controlling 2 contactors for elec heating and hot water, hot water contactor is same as heating contacter just 20a instead of 63a for heating)

What I've gathered so far is that 1 switches to 2, 3 to 4 etc obvious really, but is a1 a switched live that pulls the contactor in and a2 a neutral or a1 a perm live and a2 a switch live to switch the contacts over?

...............yes you have a point. I'm being a dull c u next Tuesday

It is always best to try and break the problem down to basics....lit saves the brain boiling

Or use the plumbing analogy

Water in......needs a pipe to take water out

Pressure equals voltage

Flow equals current

Resistance equals, dunno, radiator maybe

Big pipe , big cable,

Just a thought
Wasn't it ......pipe hammered almost flat ?