Converting 2 Way Switch To 1 Way - Wiring Smart Switch with Neutral

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patty37

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I’m looking to install one of the smart switches with neutral wire to one switch where I have 2 way switching. Unfortunately this smart switch doesn’t support 2 way switching and you need to use their battery powered wireless switch.

I’m just wondering how I go about closing off the second switch? Would it be a case of terminating certain wires into a wago connector? If so, could anyone advise which wires I’d have to do that to?

Thought I’d ask before I go attempting anything.

Please see attached photos. The first photo is the switch in which I’m going to change to the smart switch and the second photo is the second switch which I’m going to get rid of for the wireless switch.

In the second photo the wire in the L1 connection is live.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpeg
    IMG_0133.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0134.jpeg
    IMG_0134.jpeg
    934.5 KB · Views: 1
second switch is powered from the first, so once disconnected at the first switch it's dead. You can just cut them off, or terminate in a wago as good practice. No actual need as they will be dead. Like wise the 3 core cable feeding from Switch 1 to 2 at sw 1. . That should leave you a 2 core for live feed and switch line to light at switch 1, which is what you need for the new smart switch.

second switch is powered from the first, so once disconnected at the first switch it's dead. You can just cut them off, or terminate in a wago as good practice. No actual need as they will be dead. Like wise the 3 core cable feeding from Switch 1 to 2 at sw 1. . That should leave you a 2 core for live feed and switch line to light at switch 1, which is what you need for the new smart switch.
Thanks for that. So for the hallway is working. Took the neutrals out of their wago and added them to another wago where I could run a wire from that one to the switch. All’s working in that room.

I’ve come to do a 2 gang in my kitchen / living room. Wired it up more or less the same way. The relays in the smart switch work (I can hear them clicking and it connects to the internet) but the bulbs themselves aren’t coming on. I’m wondering if it’s to do with the neutral as I don’t seem to be getting any neutral current into the first switch or the 2 gang in my living room / kitchen. However I have tested the neutral in the hallway and there is current when it’s out of the wago. I tried using another wag connector and redoing the terminals but it’s the same result.

I assume I’ve done something wrong here?

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpeg
    IMG_0135.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0136.jpeg
    IMG_0136.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1