Cost of running fire alarm?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
I've recently installed a 4 zone fire alarm panel within 2 flats. The alarm is connected to the downstairs flats meter and they are complaining about the running costs of it. The landlord is wanting me to produce an estimate on the yearly cost to run it, as well as 2 12v 1A doorbell transformers.

I'm a bit unsure how to work this out with the transformers?

This is the supply spec for the FA Panel

POWER SUPPLY SPECIFICATION

Mains supply voltage 230V 50/60Hz

Mains rated current 350mA maximum

Total output current limited to 1.5A @ 230Vac (ImaxA = 146mA)

Mains fuse (F1) 240V 1A HRC ceramic 20mm compliant with IEC (EN60127 PT2)

put in a separately metered 2way db and deduct it from the flats reading, wouldent cost that much to do, just bang it on a 16a breaker and some 2.5 and if he doesn't want it all he's gonna get is ear ache, tenants are a pain in the a*rse.

Watts is Watts no matter what the voltage

Over the course of a year I would think a fiver would be overkill.

Probably not relevant in your case but I recently came across a fire alarm wired off a single flat that in turn was fed via a coin/token meter.

Tenant on holiday, meter runs out, NO Fire Alarm. I wrote to the Landlord , he was not bothered so I sent standard letter AC1 [for the uninitiated AC1 is the standard "Anus Covering letter"]...and walked away........... :coat

I had the same carp in my old flat, the door entry panel & the one 8w low energy lamp on a 2 min timer were the only electrics in the hall, connected to the ground floor flat. I gave the girl a fiver to stop her moaning and said that should cover a couple of years.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:13 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:11 ----------

I've recently installed a 4 zone fire alarm panel within 2 flats. The alarm is connected to the downstairs flats meter and they are complaining about the running costs of it.
I hope you wired the fire alarm supply in fire rated cable .

I had the same carp in my old flat, the door entry panel & the one 8w low energy lamp on a 2 min timer were the only electrics in the hall, connected to the ground floor flat. I gave the girl a fiver to stop her moaning and said that should cover a couple of years.---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:13 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:11 ----------

So if I give the Missus a fiver she stops moaning ...........wheres me wallet??

Nah he found some of that washing line with the metal strands in the back garden...itll be ok right?

Fire alarm has its own Fire Alarm DB (the small red ones) and is wired in FP from there.

I also forgot, theres an 11w Non maintained EM fitting in there too. I'll have to take a clamp on it all.

So if I give the Missus a fiver she stops moaning ...........wheres me wallet??
Marriage never works like that, whats yours is mine & whats mine is mine.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:27 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:22 ----------

Fire alarm has its own Fire Alarm DB (the small red ones) and is wired in FP from there.I also forgot, theres an 11w Non maintained EM fitting in there too. I'll have to take a clamp on it all.
To be honest i only found out about this about 5 years ago. I have seen many fire alarms in HMO's with twin & earth feeds. I carried out a periodic test a couple of years back and found the newly installed fire alarm (by a NICEIC) contractor was connected by a 13A plug & socket wired in 0.75 flex.