Am i being ripped off?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to bite the bullet in the end and accept their inflated price. Just too much hassle to coordinate others and sign-off would be tricky too.

So to answer your original question: yes you are, however you've accepted it, which no gives licence for them to continue in the same vein with future clients. 

Remember: to accept unacceptable behaviour makes it acceptable??

So to answer your original question: yes you are, however you've accepted it, which no gives licence for them to continue in the same vein with future clients. 

Remember: to accept unacceptable behaviour makes it acceptable??

No it doesn't make it acceptable. And they will get the online review they deserve upon completion. You need to remember i am between a rock and a hard place. I saw one project in the flesh and spoke to two of their former clients prior to starting the project, both of which were very favourable. Either those clients had more money than sense (which is very possible), or they just didn't have a clue. But, hopefully, my review will ensure that at least some of their future prospective clients think twice before employing them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where will you be putting this review,?

If its trust trader or some such site they will be able to delete it.

Google.

EDIT: This might be more difficult than i thought. Often you can review companies on Google, but their company doesn't appear to have the option. So if you any of you guys know of sites where reviews can't be deleted, i'm all ears! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is it won't stop them from fleecing more clients in the future. Doesn't matter where or how you review them, they probably manage to convince 99% of the clients that they aren't being fleeced, and if it looks like the company is getting a bad name they will just shut it down and start again the day after with a new name.

The problem is it won't stop them from fleecing more clients in the future. Doesn't matter where or how you review them, they probably manage to convince 99% of the clients that they aren't being fleeced, and if it looks like the company is getting a bad name they will just shut it down and start again the day after with a new name.

Their company's been in operation for over five years, so they've clearly been doing a good job of convincing the 99%; and they probably didn't bank on me questioning their prices. 

Shutting down an LTD can be tricky if someone objects before liquidation. And it's no longer so easy to close and immediately restart an LTD in the same industry. 

But the reality is: companies such as this will continue to fleece clients and it's very difficult to stop them doing so, unfortunately. The only good thing is that their work is generally to a good standard from what i've seen.

They are probably not what we could term 'cowboys' but they perhaps aren't the best with customer service. Most of their clients are probably happy to have no involvement whatsoever so it will work for all parties involved. I'm not sure writing bad reviews about them everywhere will get anyone anywhere. It's just an incompatibility between you and them.

They are probably not what we could term 'cowboys' but they perhaps aren't the best with customer service. Most of their clients are probably happy to have no involvement whatsoever so it will work for all parties involved. I'm not sure writing bad reviews about them everywhere will get anyone anywhere. It's just an incompatibility between you and them.

Yes, that's pretty-much hit the nail on the head! Some ppl have more money than sense - i don't. Also, some clients probably have good architects; unfortunately, mine was useless and pulled out mid project. So i have had to take on the role of project supervisor and architect (asking advice from friends and forums). Having been so involved, i've seen how they choose to ignore architectural specifications as and when it suits. Therefore, i have little trust in them and have to question them continually. They then get annoyed, and i get annoyed that they're annoyed. A vicious circle. 

I'd be more inclined to give after the architect than the builders. They have quoted you a price and you're going to accept it. It is inflated but you are still accepting it so it's sort of your own fault there. The only thing you could really complain about is sub-standard work (if that is the case). 

You say they are avoiding the architects specifications. But she was that poor was the spec really workable or realistic? 

Hope you get the job finished soon so you can just get shot of them and move on with your life.

I'd be more inclined to give after the architect than the builders. They have quoted you a price and you're going to accept it. It is inflated but you are still accepting it so it's sort of your own fault there. The only thing you could really complain about is sub-standard work (if that is the case). 

You say they are avoiding the architects specifications. But she was that poor was the spec really workable or realistic? 

Hope you get the job finished soon so you can just get shot of them and move on with your life.
If i didn't accept the price (as i didn't with some other stuff such as stairs), I would have had to live with their basic electrics as it's not feasible to get another spark in whilst they're on the job. So, yes, my fault in a way. But i can still complain about them taking advantage of the situation to charge whatever the hell they like.

They avoid spec not because it's wrong or unworkable, but because they like to do things their own way i assume.

Project should be finished in late February i guess, so the end is in sight. :)