Crabtree Accessories

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone used the new ones? I've had boxes of sockets now that aren't the same as they used to be. Suffice to say that i think that they're not made in England anymore as it no longer says so on the back of the socket. Shame as i've not noticed them getting any cheaper??!

I have, they were on offer the other day, hence the many many boxes of Crabtree sockets I now have (unopened).

Maybe I should open them?

the terminals are crap on them and stacked on top of each other as opposed to side by side so harder to keep cables nice and tidy in box. they also slightly different shape when you put new and old side by side. had a load on offer the other day. chaeper than usual so went for them on a rewire. bad mistake. wont buy them any more

the terminals are crap on them and stacked on top of each other as opposed to side by side so harder to keep cables nice and tidy in box.
The old way then. They stopped doing that in the 80's. Time to get some prices in for MK kit if Crabtree is going to start going funny, or Ashley. I used that for a while, that new, cheape range they released a few years ago didn;t last long.

The old way then. They stopped doing that in the 80's. Time to get some prices in for MK kit if Crabtree is going to start going funny, or Ashley. I used that for a while, that new, cheape range they released a few years ago didn;t last long.
you got it. i fit alot of BG stuff in domestic rewires etc. always been good quality decent terminals, cheap enough and never had one fail yet

you got it. i fit alot of BG stuff in domestic rewires etc. always been good quality decent terminals, cheap enough and never had one fail yet
I used to fit loads of BG stuff doing housebashing, fairly high failure rate so was never too keen on it, although this was a while ago, but it's just kept me away from BG ever since, first impressions and all that. Not keen on the square edges either tbh, although I notice they do a nicer, round edged range, but with those damn screw cover things. I hate those.

I used to fit loads of BG stuff doing housebashing, fairly high failure rate so was never too keen on it, although this was a while ago, but it's just kept me away from BG ever since, first impressions and all that. Not keen on the square edges either tbh, although I notice they do a nicer, round edged range, but with those damn screw cover things. I hate those.
to be honest i think they are pretty good. maybe they have improved the quality somewhat now. the round edge stuff isnt bad either. slightly more expensive and i chuck the poxy covers straight in the bin. i tend to keep a box of each of most things in the square edge range in the van. i buy through senate who rebrand the stuff as sector. the round edge stuff is sector sequal, maybe give it a try?

I noticed with Crabtree that their catalogue avoids the issue of where they make the stuff. They mention Cannock and Brownhills in Staffs but they are head office and Distribution AFAIK.

Contactum was always good quality , made in UK , back in business again.

I noticed with Crabtree that their catalogue avoids the issue of where they make the stuff. They mention Cannock and Brownhills in Staffs but they are head office and Distribution AFAIK. Contactum was always good quality , made in UK , back in business again.
Not made in this country any more but the quality is still there.

the terminals are crap on them and stacked on top of each other as opposed to side by side so harder to keep cables nice and tidy in box. they also slightly different shape when you put new and old side by side. had a load on offer the other day. chaeper than usual so went for them on a rewire. bad mistake. wont buy them any more
Yes, I've noticed this. just bought a few Crabtree sockets for an office conversion (to fit in with the existing style in the house). It's because they've started fitting the Volex guts to the Crabtree face plates to cut costs.

As you say they are rubbish compared to how they used to be.

Electrium (headquartered in Walsall iirc) are very cagey about where any of their stuff comes from (Marbo, Volex, Wylex, Crabtree, Appleby)

I've even gone off the Appleby metal back boxes, because I've noticed they come out of the packet greasy and dirty. They've obviously stopped the degrease and wash at the end-of-line to cut costs. Not so bad on a dirty rewire, but is a nightmare when you're putting in extra sockets as the grease and dirt (incl swarf) transfers to your hands and then to the decor. Even had a metal splinter off one.

Could we complain to Electrium as a group? Maybe put up a "petition" on the forum and then once "signed" by enough of us mail it to Electrium sales? X(

Yes, I've noticed this. just bought a few Crabtree sockets for an office conversion (to fit in with the existing style in the house). It's because they've started fitting the Volex guts to the Crabtree face plates to cut costs.As you say they are rubbish compared to how they used to be.

Electrium (headquartered in Walsall iirc) are very cagey about where any of their stuff comes from (Marbo, Volex, Wylex, Crabtree, Appleby)

I've even gone off the Appleby metal back boxes, because I've noticed they come out of the packet greasy and dirty. They've obviously stopped the degrease and wash at the end-of-line to cut costs. Not so bad on a dirty rewire, but is a nightmare when you're putting in extra sockets as the grease and dirt (incl swarf) transfers to your hands and then to the decor. Even had a metal splinter off one.

Could we complain to Electrium as a group? Maybe put up a "petition" on the forum and then once "signed" by enough of us mail it to Electrium sales? X(
Thanks for telling me just bought 200 of sf as they where on offer.

:(

I think that's why they're on offer!Sorry.
I was just thinking that, seems everywhere has them on offer.

If they are really Volex interiors then I'm definitely off Crabtree now.

I've gone on to Click now,, they seem to be quite well made and I get them at a good price!You're going to tell me they're carp now aren't you? ;) ; )
I`ve been using nothing but Click wiring accessories for over 10 years. Nothing fancy but solidly made, reliable, good price and the galvo back boxes make Appleby look like something out of a Christmas cracker. Also, I no longer use back boxes that do not have a proper brass earth termination - the ones made from metal folded from the wall of the back-box are next to useless.

Yes, I've noticed this. just bought a few Crabtree sockets for an office conversion (to fit in with the existing style in the house). It's because they've started fitting the Volex guts to the Crabtree face plates to cut costs.As you say they are rubbish compared to how they used to be.

That's a good idea.

I was told only two days ago that crabtree accessories are now made in China from a wholesaler.

Think its pretty much of much for accessories, they all seem to be bringing out the MK version of rounded edges, Click Mode, BG Nexus and GET has just launched a new range.

Seem to keep hearing good views about Scolmore Click, although I have yet to try them personally.

I was just thinking that, seems everywhere has them on offer. If they are really Volex interiors then I'm definitely off Crabtree now.
Volex dimmers use crabtree guts. Had no problems yet, so maybe worth buying over a crabtree branded dimmer.

Have used a fair amount of GET, but recently out of maybe 15 double sockets, 2 did not have a Live at the face i.e no continuity between live terminal at back and live terminal at the front