Criminal Overpricing by national franchise

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_k

Reaction score
Evening all.

I dont post much, just a reader here but i feel i should, regarding the quality of work and pricing of a large national franchise.

Background

The client is a 78 year old woman who lives with her son in a 4 bed detached.

Around 2 years ago the client was making sunday dinner when she noticed a burning electrical smell. She found the problem was a washing machine plugged into one of those block multi adapters along with a drier!! The block had started to melt and burn along with the socket front.

Worried she phoned her insurance (one of those home care jobbies covers water+gas+elec). They sent out the franchise firm who recommend she had a full pir done (bear in mind the house was rewired in the late 80`s.) Cost =

No need to guess when the name of the co is stuck on the lid of the CU!

Beyond that, speechless.

The lady in question would appear to have good grounds for complaint, however the procedure normally requires the electrician involved to be given the oppertunity to put it right. I would like to know how he would put the worktop right though

No need to guess when the name of the co is stuck on the lid of the CU!Beyond that, speechless.
Ive tried to edit the photo but for some reason it wont refresh on the post

That is criminal. There are no 2 ways about that; an a formal complaint needs to be made; by the lady in question, or her representative in these matters, to the company concerned, local press, and NICEIC, advising each that the others have been informed. Take photos of all works. Failure to provide client with building reg notification or other paperwork is in breach of scheme provider T&Cs. If nobody moves, have a REAL spark do a PIR.

Where in the country was this done mate??

The problem is. This work was carried out 2 years ago! The whole works cleared her out money wise.

She called me as they had also disconnected her oven extractor as they said it wasnt allowed. It was a spur of a spur jobbie but easily fixed.

The guys were with her for 2weeks from start to finish and when she had the bill she had had enough of tradesmen. So just lived with it.

Ive took photos of the invoices too as i couldnt believe what i saw.

Even if it's 2 years ago since the work was done certificates and records of it should still be held by the company in question and it should have been notified via the NICEIC.

Agreed. And the "company" concerned is still trading under the NIC banner. You really need to get em involved. The reason I brought the press into it is the costs. If she wasn`t provided with written estimates of the cost, she was defrauded; backed up by the fact that there was no paperwork issued. NIC won`t get involved in that side of it; but the local press certainly will.

KME

If she wasn`t provided with written estimates of the cost, she was defrauded; backed up by the fact that there was no paperwork issued. NIC won`t get involved in that side of it; but the local press certainly will.KME
She was given quotes for the work, and agreed to the work. But what does she know about electrical work and costs. As they were sent by the insurers she had no need to worry.?!!

Ive told her to get in contact with them and ask for the certs and see what that brings up.

Couple of points:

You say that the Lady in question involved the insurance. Did they refuse to pay for it?

The prices you have quoted are bad.

The workmanship is atrocious.

Thank You for posting that here, it certainly alerts members of the public.

I hope that the Lady in question does manage to get something done about it.

Please keep us updated.

Right......

first of all I think I have read this thread..

But MR Badger's Tanglefoot is lubricating nicely after a busy week...

(Thanks Badger .. are you related???)

Was any of this work (you say done in past 2 years) Part P notifiable?

If yes the the NICEIC insurance backed warranty is valid for 6 years from date of compliance cert!

I personally would be pursuing EVERY avenue to kick some AR-SE!!!!

She was given quotes for the work, and agreed to the work. But what does she know about electrical work and costs. As they were sent by the insurers she had no need to worry.?!!
Well the home-owner shares some blame. I don't care who sent a tradesman to my house, assuming I was paying then I would get two or three quotes.

IF an electrician quotes

I'd email BBC Watchdog, although after two years they might not think it newsworthy, but if this was a local contractor there may be other complaints with TS

However I'm a little confused, if the client was paying monthly for some sort of services cover, why did she have to pay anything, is that not the point of this kind of cover?

These types of inflated prices are not unusual when the word insurance is mentioned

All that said, the CU in the worktop just leaves you speechless

Looking at the pictures again, i think this isnt quite what its made out to be.

If that CU was installed without taking out the worktop, how the hell did he get the cover on??

Also, why would he bother to seal the top of the CU against the tiles, and not do anything else?

I reckon this is all about poor kitchen fitting and nothing at all to do with the installation.

Trying to make us out to be worse that we are.

Looking at the pictures again, i think this isnt quite what its made out to be.If that CU was installed without taking out the worktop, how the hell did he get the cover on??

Also, why would he bother to seal the top of the CU against the tiles, and not do anything else?

I reckon this is all about poor kitchen fitting and nothing at all to do with the installation.

I think you may be onto something there.

Looking at the pictures again, i think this isnt quite what its made out to be.If that CU was installed without taking out the worktop, how the hell did he get the cover on??

if you couldn't get that cover on your not a spark

infact i admire what he has done and i 100% mean that

Is this a kitchen worktop? what is the risk of liquid being spilt on the worktop going down the front of the CU?

Doc H.