Crimping to repair a damaged cable?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the only thng that can be done in this situation is replace that cable as making a joint in the wall imho is a BIG NO NO :|

Hi

your best option is to crimp,, blue for 2.5 red for the cpc then test

then i would heat shrink the crimp joints

also if the space allows offset the crimps so they a not bunched in one lump

dont think there is a problem with this method with rewireables,,not heard of one

Making a crimp connection is bad practice imho, afraid you have to replace the cable.

the only thng that can be done in this situation is replace that cable as making a joint in the wall imho is a BIG NO NO :|
are you sure ????

or is it not best pratice

Thanks for your comments so far, as I said, tiled floor above and solid wood flooring below. I know the best option would be to replace the cable between the two points it is connected to, but this isn

I had to do just that to help a neighbour out late last year.

Old re-wirable fusebox. He was having a few tradesmen in. I told him before he has his walls and ceilings reskimmed and his new combi, piping and rads changed, to have his electrics done too along with a new CU.

Needless to say - He ignored me and regretted it afterwards.

He was drilling to to put up his nice new shelf on his nice new wall, when, bang - drillled through his 2.5mm ring cable (Radial - not a ring too - if I member correctly?) Chiselled a hole around the break, I used my insualted through crimps with the heat shrink and adhesive in them, I also put a layer or two of heat shrink over that too.

He did not and would not let me change that run of T&E.

Thanks sirsparkabit,

The problem is that the position of the joint would be too high in the wall for a socket or blanking plate because it

Why cant you have a blank 2 mts up ,at least people would then know there is a cable there!!

Crimping and plastering in still hides the cable run, so only my thought but above is way to go if you can.

Crimping and plastering in still hides the cable run, so only my thought but above is way to go if you can.
Just dug the cable out enough to put a 30A connector block on for the time being. I understand what you are saying but the misses doesn

Just dug the cable out enough to put a 30A connector block on for the time being.
I wouldn't do that as it is classed as a "Temporary Joint" and has to be easily reached for Inspection. A soldered / crimped joint is classed as a Perminant joint and can be plastered over.

Just dug the cable out enough to put a 30A connector block on for the time being.
I wouldn't do that as it is classed as a "Temporary Joint" and has to be easily reached for Inspection. A soldered / crimped joint is classed as a Perminant joint and can be plastered over.
Thanks Admin, it is just that. "Temporary" as I needed to get the power back on! The misses was pecking at me coz she needed the washing machine. ;)

sorry got it wrong again dad!
Not sure quite what you mean sirsparkabit? ?:|

I value your comments as I value all that have been made. :)

I

Not sure quite what you mean sirsparkabit? ?:|

I value your comments as I value all that have been made. :)

Sorry mate it means i made a mistake i put my reply in one of your previous posts when i quoted it ,look back and you will find it.

:^O

Its a bit like looking for a cable in a plastered wall if you get my drift .Good Luck with it SSAB. :D

Gotta keep the missus happy, sounds like you have found the best way forward for this for now.