cu change eic or pir

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobo

Reaction score
if I change a consumer unit and do a part rewire can i put all circuits on eic?

I would not be able to confirm routing of existing cables etc. could this be noted down on cert. I have to certify whole installation.

if I change a consumer unit and do a part rewire can i put all circuits on eic?I would not be able to confirm routing of existing cables etc. could this be noted down on cert. I have to certify whole installation.
EIC for the CU and new circuits, PIR for the existing. ;)

Sorry, but the above posts are wrong.

You only need to issue an EIC, if carefully write what you did in the description of the works carried out box what you did and didn't do then it's covered; also put LIM in the routing of cables box on the inspection schedule.

Sorry, but the above posts are wrong.You only need to issue an EIC, if carefully write what you did in the description of the works carried out box what you did and didn't do then it's covered; also put LIM in the routing of cables box on the inspection schedule.
That's a bit harsh, Noz, and also not correct. :)

On a normal CU change you would be right, but the OP said this:

if I change a consumer unit and do a part rewire can i put all circuits on eic?I would not be able to confirm routing of existing cables etc. could this be noted down on cert. I have to certify whole installation.
So, Zeespark, you don't stand corrected, you are, in fact, correct. :)

When you carry out a CU change there is no need to issue a PIR. Of course, you can if you want.

You do need to issue an EIC to cover the work you have done, namely replacement CU. When changing a CU it is necessary to carry out basic checks to ensure the existing circuits are safe to be reconnected to a new CU. You would fill in the results of these checks on the results schedule. On the inspection schedule, you would normally put "n/a" in the box for safe zones.

If you do other works as well, such as an additional circuit or repairs / alterations to an existing circuit, then on the EIC page 1, in the box entitled "extent of installation covered by this certificate" you would put a description of the works carried out. If these works included new cables in safe zones, then on the inspection schedule you would tick that box. The tick in the box is only applicable to the work you have carried out as described in the "extent of installation...." box. The tick in the box does not certify that existing cables are in the safe zones.

The same principles apply to all the boxes on the inspection schedule - you tick those which are applicable to the work you have carried out.

If by "certify whole installation" you believe you are certifying the existing installation, then you are mistaken. You are not. That's what the "extent..." box is for, so that you can state exactly what it is you are certifying.

If in the course of the work, you find items which do not conform to the regs (eg you can see from the plaster marks there is cabling outside the safe zones) but you have not been commisioned to repair these items (and they are not unsafe), then the EIC has a box entitled "comments on existing installation" where you can note such items.

Does that help?

PC,

He's not saying he thinks he is certifying the whole installation - I think he's saying that he has to........as in, it's part of the job he has been asked to do. :)

In which case he will be issuing a PIR on the existing.

PC,He's not saying he thinks he is certifying the whole installation - I think he's saying that he has to........as in, it's part of the job he has been asked to do. :)

In which case he will be issuing a PIR on the existing.
Valid point, interpretation is always that stumbling block on forums!. I think we need Tobo to confirm his original point a bit clearer. Re reading the last sentence with an extra word could change the question perhaps; "Do I have to certify whole installation?" or "I do have to certify whole installation". Can we have a bit more detail please Tobo?

Doc H.

if I can issue eic's but not pir's. can I issue a limited eic for all circuits on new cu. new and old. I haven't joined a scheme yet, but am just weighing up all possible outcomes before parting with someone else's cash:)

thanks for all the help.

if you change a CU then you must issue an EIC for the whole installation,

and it is notifiable work.

are you really competent enough to do this.?

are you going to use this as your assessement.?

That's a bit harsh, Noz,
Yes, sorry about that it's just that obviously I read / misread the OP differently to you.

To me the post came across in a way that Tobo is quite new to issuing certificates; and thinks that when changing a CU that he has to certify the whole installation,, not that he has to certify his work (CU change and partial rewire) and make sure that all the other existing circuits are basically safe (Continuity of CPC, IR & Zs), not that he is doing this work and a PIR.

Apologies again both to ADS and Zeespark

When you carry out a CU change there is no need to issue a PIR. Of course, you can if you want.You do need to issue an EIC to cover the work you have done, namely replacement CU. When changing a CU it is necessary to carry out basic checks to ensure the existing circuits are safe to be reconnected to a new CU. You would fill in the results of these checks on the results schedule. On the inspection schedule, you would normally put "n/a" in the box for safe zones.

If you do other works as well, such as an additional circuit or repairs / alterations to an existing circuit, then on the EIC page 1, in the box entitled "extent of installation covered by this certificate" you would put a description of the works carried out. If these works included new cables in safe zones, then on the inspection schedule you would tick that box. The tick in the box is only applicable to the work you have carried out as described in the "extent of installation...." box. The tick in the box does not certify that existing cables are in the safe zones.

The same principles apply to all the boxes on the inspection schedule - you tick those which are applicable to the work you have carried out.

If by "certify whole installation" you believe you are certifying the existing installation, then you are mistaken. You are not. That's what the "extent..." box is for, so that you can state exactly what it is you are certifying.

If in the course of the work, you find items which do not conform to the regs (eg you can see from the plaster marks there is cabling outside the safe zones) but you have not been commisioned to repair these items (and they are not unsafe), then the EIC has a box entitled "comments on existing installation" where you can note such items.

Does that help?
:Applaud :Applaud:Salute

If I wasn't into plagarism.. :innocent

I would have wrigted ALL the above myself.... O)

In fact .....

I think PC Electrics copied this off a bit off paper on my desk when he was on his way to the canteen this morning... ]:)

But I will let him have the glory for putting it most succinctly!!!

CONCURRENCES with Mr PC Elec are in order I think!

:Applaud :Applaud:Applaud:Applaud

GuinnessGuinnessGuinness

if I can issue eic's but not pir's. can I issue a limited eic for all circuits on new cu. new and old. I haven't joined a scheme yet, but am just weighing up all possible outcomes before parting with someone else's cash:)thanks for all the help.
Thanks, Specs. High praise indeed.

Actually, I put quite a lot of time into composing that reply. I tried to be concise and precise. However, I think Tobo is still confused and hasn't understood. In particular, the first sentence above makes no sense to me.

There is no such thing as a 'limited EIC'. An EIC is an EIC, it is only "limited" (if you must look at it that way) by what you put in the "extent..." box.

Tobo, I think we need more from you about what you're trying to do and where you think your confusion lies. Then we can help you better. As it is, I don't think you're ready for an assessment because certificates are fundamental to the whole process.

He's definitely been reading the 'Specs Guide to Post Writing' :D