EIC or EICR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarChris

Reaction score
I have a flat that I rent out. In 2020 an electrician changed the consumer unit and he said as it's let he'd have to check everything e.g. unscrew all the sockets and switches etc. this cost me several thousands ponds far more than the new consumer unit. He issued an EIC which says "REPLACE FUSEBOARD CARRY OUT EICR REPAIRS / UPGRADES FROM TEST" the letting agent now says they can't let the flat to a new tenant without an EICR. Should he have given me an EICR in 2020? Can he retrospectively issue one now? or would he have to reinspect and test everything again? n.b. it's a different electrician to the one I've mentioned in another thread.

except for a rewire, an EIC would only cover part of the installation, in this case the new board. you will need an EICR that covers the entire installation

correct cert (EIC) has been issued for the work done. unless you specially requested (and paid for) an EICR in 2020 then no need for one to be issued

Whilst I didn't request it he told me he had to check everything as it was being rented and charged me thousands to do so saying the paperwork would be valid for five years, what is an EIRC if it isn't that?
photo of sticker on consumer unit below. Since the photo the fuse has been upgraded to 100Amp and a new smart meter and henly block fitted (no gaffa tape!) it now looks very neat. Thanks to UK Power networks, Octopus and my new electrician Fouad.

Attachments

• IMG_20230606_123702982_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230606_123702982_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Whilst I didn't request it he told me he had to check everything as it was being rented and charged me thousands to do so saying the paperwork would be valid for five years, what is an EIRC if it isn't that?
photo of sticker on consumer unit below. Since the photo the fuse has been upgraded to 100Amp and a new smart meter and henly block fitted (no gaffa tape!) it now looks very neat. Thanks to UK Power networks, Octopus and my new electrician Fouad.

bit of an awkward one then. whist you haven't specifically requested and EICR, he has implied one will be provided... what were your invoiced for? anything on there about an EICR?

Does seem rather a lot if money for what was done, but we don't know how much other work was done.

I think I would put this down to a bad experience and get someone else to do the EICR. You don't have to open every accessory for an inspection, we sample circuits for that, 10% is quite normal, unless we find issues that require a more in depth inspection.

I have a flat that I rent out. In 2020 an electrician changed the consumer unit and he said as it's let he'd have to check everything e.g. unscrew all the sockets and switches etc. this cost me several thousands ponds far more than the new consumer unit. He issued an EIC which says "REPLACE FUSEBOARD CARRY OUT EICR REPAIRS / UPGRADES FROM TEST" the letting agent now says they can't let the flat to a new tenant without an EICR. Should he have given me an EICR in 2020? Can he retrospectively issue one now? or would he have to reinspect and test everything again? n.b. it's a different electrician to the one I've mentioned in another thread.

If a consumer unit is replaced every circuit must be tested and any defects that affect the safety of the installation must be corrected before the EIC is issued. (reg 644.1.2).

There is NO requirement or need to issue an EICR if a valid EIC has been issued, so the 2020 work should NOT have needed an EICR.. (But nethier should it have needed opening up every accessory either!).

A periodic inspection is recommend at regular intervals, (dependant upon the type of installation), OR at a change of occupancy for dwellings.

So if you are now having a new tenant move in guidance does recommend a new period inspection is carried out.. The extent and limitations of that inspection will depend upon the type of installation and the avalability of any previous records/certificates etc..

I don't think EICR was mentioned by name, what he said was that as it was rented he would have to check everything which AIUI is an EICR and not an EIC

An EICR is issued following inspection & testing where NO additions or alteration work has been done.

An EIC is issued when an 'addition' or 'alteration' or 're-wire' or 'new installation' has been undertaken. If a consumer unit has been replaced the characteristics of every circuit for the whole installation supplied by that consumer unit will have to be verified.

Last edited:
If a consumer unit is replaced every circuit must be tested and any defects that affect the safety of the installation must be corrected before the EIC is issued. (reg 644.1.2).
There is NO requirement or need to issue an EICR if a valid EIC has been issued, so the 2020 work should NOT have needed an EICR.. (But nethier should it have needed opening up every accessory either!).
A periodic inspection is recommend at regular intervals, (dependant upon the type of installation), OR at a change of occupancy for dwellings.
So if you are now having a new tenant move in guidance does recommend a new period inspection is carried out.. The extent and limitations of that inspection will depend upon the type of installation and the avalability of any previous records/certificates etc..
An EICR is issued following inspection & testing where NO additions or alteration work has been done.
An EIC is issued when an 'addition' or 'alteration' or 're-wire' or 'new installation' has been undertaken. If a consumer unit has been replaced the characteristics of every circuit for the whole installation supplied by that consumer unit will have to be verified.
Thanks very much for the explanation I now understand much better.

THOUSANDS OF POUNDS.....!! Do you live in a mansion?!? Sounds like you were most definitely ripped off, I have a property to test which has about 20 circuits on the main board and this is a large property, I have estimated 2 days to test it, physically examining a minimum of 40% of all the switchgear and luminaires and I charge £400 a day so £800 in total. A standard 2 or 3 bed house would be £300-400 for me to test depending on the time it takes.

Latest posts