Full EICR after CU change?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was talking to an electrician recently and we got chatting about consumer unit changes (I'm training currently so thought I'd pick his brains), and he mentioned something that I was unsure about.
He said after you do a CU change, you HAVE to do a full condition report of the entire installation (he apparently does some basic testing before to check there are no hidden suprises).
I haven't seen anything about doing a full EICR after a board change, I get doing some basic tests to confirm the work you have completed, but not for the rest of the installation.

Thanks for any answers.

you don't have to do a full EICR (and there is nothing to say you must do so) but id recommend it before the work is done, then its just change the board, do a few tests then fill in your EIC

I haven't seen anything about doing a full EICR after a board change, I get doing some basic tests to confirm the work you have completed, but not for the rest of the installation.

Yes, and no..... When you do a board change, you issue a installation certificate for that work, and that will include testing all cirucits supplied from that board, and while its not an EICR, in most domestics thats all circuits that get tested and is a very similar level of work to an EICR, theres probably less inspection than an EICR, you are tetsing to confirm that the circuit is in a safe enough condition to be re-energised on the new board... you wouldn't necessaraily be sampling sockets to see if they had grommets fitted, etc. If you had a cirucit that was a submain (e.g. garage supply) you'd test upto the sub board as part of your tests, but if you were doing an EICR, you'd test the cirucits off that board as well (unless your scope was defined such that it was excluded)

In summary:

You should get an EIC not an EICR following the board change
The EIC covers only the work of installing the new board, it doesn't count as an EICR (which might be important to you if this is a rental)
But... The tests that have to be done are effectivly most of the work of an EICR and the readings can be used for both documents, with just a bit more extra work on inspection and paperwork.
If you want an EICR at the same time as the board change, the guy should be able to offer it for an additional over-cost that is significantly less than having an EICR done just on its own.

Outside the domestic sector the difference becomes more significant,/apparent. I might change the DB in the groundsman's Tea hut on an industrial site and an EIC will be issued for that, but I've not tested anything elsewhere, and I certainly haven't done an EICR on the whole factory. Even if the main switchgear was changed, that would need an EIC to be issued which included testing the outgoing submains, No one is looking at what sort of a state the final circuits are in stores (and what horrors the fork truck driver has perpetuated) which might be from a small board which is fed from sub panel in that building, which in turn is fed from the main switchgear

This was my basic thinking, he was adamant that you basically do both an EIC and an EICR, in so many words, as separate entities.
As I say I'm still at the start of my learning, so I didn't argue, just questioned.
Just thought I'd check.
Thanks guys

This was my basic thinking, he was adamant that you basically do both an EIC and an EICR, in so many words, as separate entities.
As I say I'm still at the start of my learning, so I didn't argue, just questioned.
Just thought I'd check.
Thanks guys

He is talking Tosh....

See Note 1 top of page 511 current reg's about when an EIC should be issued...
{Tonight's easy quiz Q1:
see if you can spot the words "the replacement of a consumer unit"...
have a beer if you spot it! 🍺 }

Also see Note 1 top of page 521 current reg's about when an EICR should be issued...
{Tonight's easy quiz Q2:
see if you can spot the words "not for the replacement of a consumer unit".
have another beer if you spot that as well! 🍻}

An EIC has sufficient information recorded to confirm all parts of the installation affected by your alteration are electrically safe to allow you to put it back into into service....
(which for a CU change is, Supply characteristics, Earthing, Bonding, EVERY circuit with NO limitations etc...)

Just the same as if you have done a full re-wire or new build....
Absolutely NO need to issue an EICR and an EIC...
Even though some of the inspections and testing carried out for both is very very similar!

Last edited:
Two totally different reports. You don't mot a new car as it comes off the assembly line which is the equivalent to and eicr.

As others have said your not looking to check the condition of the installation as you cannot issue any C codes on an eic. You are confirming that the work you have carried out is in accordance with the guidelines and providing readings to prove that.

It almost sounds like they are hunting for more work by issuing an eicr. With experience you get to know if your going to have issues with board changes. Age of property, condition of accessories, general appearance of the property all give you a clue.

Basic checks done prior to a board change should be minimum of Ir across all circuits and ring continuity.

Any failures on these must be sorted prior to the test or if ring continuity fails sockets go on 25a rcbos not 32 after you have checked all sockets have a cpc connection.

Some board changes are simple as. Others take a full day of swearing and cursing and sometimes you don't know which it's going to be till your halfway through it !