D.I.Y Test Rig

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Sparks

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im thinking of making my own test rig at home, well in the garage. (dont think the missus would be to hot on the idea it being in the living room:red card)

Ive just finished my 201 & 202 corses ( lvl 1 & 2)

So im still very much on a basic understanding on testing and inspecting. But due to lvl 3 being mainly test & inspect myself and a couple of guys from my corse aggreed it would be realy beneficial and good practice at the very least, to make our own test rig up.

Im not thinking of anything too complicated for now, but a rig that i can add circuits to in the future.

So im realy just after some ideas and advice as to what to put on the test rig.

I was thinking of just getting a big piece of chipboard or mdf about 6ft x 4ft & fix everything to it, get a CSU ( what size? etc) do 1 ring and a 2 way lighting circuit.

So im not sure whats best (for test purposes) to run the cable in. Do i bother with trucking,metal conduit?

The other question was going to be what would be the cheapest tester i could do a continuity and insulation test with.

Lee.

Hello Lee,

Have you checked our auction Site? TEF Online Auctions.

There are currently a couple of Multi Meters listed on there at excellent prices.

I too, Made a Test board. It was a carbon copy of the one that I used in College. See the pics here: Home Made Test Rig Pics

The motor was generously donated to me by a kind member on here. The rest was bought Brand New by myself.

The way thing s are going, that board may well be up for sale soon. :(

Thanks for the info on the auction`s, im going to keep my eye on that Metrel.

Was in two mind as to either get a cheapish one or go straight for a high end fluke or something like that.

Thats a mighty fine test rig!

if i do make one ill get some pics.

Just in the process of working out what circuits and in what type of wireing im going to use.

Hi mate, check my rig thread HERE .

I did one and i do lighting and sockets on it etc.

Thanks for the info on the auction`s, im going to keep my eye on that Metrel.Was in two mind as to either get a cheapish one or go straight for a high end fluke or something like that.

Thats a mighty fine test rig!

if i do make one ill get some pics.

Just in the process of working out what circuits and in what type of wireing im going to use.
Thanks Mate.

Pictures would be great. We love pics.

Could you take some before during and after?

Also, It may be a good idea to add them to your own Album, here on the forum.

Click Here to add your own Album

Many Thanks,

Admin.

:D

Lee, what about asking your practical tutors if they could put small faults on the work you have done on the boards in college once you have finished doing an install?

I asked to do this at My college and so long as no rules were broken with regards to level 3 they were fine with it.

AndyGuinness

Good Idea Zee.

You could even ask a spark to come and do it on your Test Rig that you are going to make at home. :)

A spark meant to do this for me for a practice for my 302 & 303. But he was too busy and never got around to it. :_|

Many thanks for the great ideas guys.

Ill get busy taking some pics before and after.

Putting a fault on the board is a great idea!

Im sure i can get some ideas from that post of yours Kiwi.

Unfortunatly i have no power in the garage, so for now ill concentrate on the dead tests.

Mybe i can energize / make it live further on down the road.

Nice Lee. :Applaud

Great to see the diagrams in use. :x

I see you didn't do all that by yourself. X( ...

... You had an apprentice. :D

:Salute

Nice one, Lee.

The only thing I would have done differently is fitted a 17th edition board.

When you do your level 3 prac you'll find that's what you're working on. :D

You'll have to get the live testing done at some stage, so a 17th board would also give you a couple of RCD's to test and would present the necessary problems for testing your Zs.

But otherwise, great job;)

Nice one, Lee.The only thing I would have done differently is fitted a 17th edition board.

When you do your level 3 prac you'll find that's what you're working on. :D

You'll have to get the live testing done at some stage, so a 17th board would also give you a couple of RCD's to test and would present the necessary problems for testing your Zs.

But otherwise, great job;)
just link out those rcd's well thats what i do as my meter trips the rcds :red card :coat :D :D

Ill keep my eyes open for a 17th edition csu, i was guessing this one was, but ive a habbit of not reading through things properly.

Ill post a couple of more pics when i have finished the two way lighting,spur & SWA/isolator.

I do plan to energise the rig, but ill wait till ive started level 3 and am more confident.

Them wiring pictures i printed from forums helped a lot, many thanks!