Dead Acer laptop windoze computer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pewter

Conspiracy Theorist™
Reaction score
need some help regards a rotten laptop

Treated myself to new macbook retina display this weekend. I need a laptop for doing certificates ;)

now the misses has got the hump and said i must fix her laptop i have been promising to look at for months.

Its a Acer Aspire 5535 laptop.

Her mother got it 2 xmas ago, after a year it got all windows and slow so she got a new one and gave it to the misses when she came to visit. I cleaned it up, did updates and hard drive tools etc. Misses used it for a month or so before it died. I reseated the memory and it worked. It lasted another month or so then died again.

I have reseated memory and hard drive, nothing happens.

when i turn power on light goes on, no noise, hard drive spins, fan on processor spins.

i hate it.

any ideas?, shall i just bin it. I wish i could but then she will want a new toy or a go on mine which is not going to happen.

any ideas much appreciated , thanks loads.

get yourself a UBUNTU live CD and use it to do a memory test, and boot up, you can check if all is OK using it, and, even put it on your laptop if you really want to see where the mac-boys copied their OS from, :innocent

I'll do a link in a mo.

Thats what I did with my old laptop, my eldest daughter uses it now with no problems.

downloading ubuntu live cd.

695mb in 1min 35secs

amazing.

it will take longer to burn it

here you go

just make sure you dont try and run the 64bit version on a 32 machine,

though the 32 will run on anything the 64 can give some weird errors on a 32 bit machine.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:07 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:06 ----------

do NOT burn it as a CD

you need to burn it as an image,

ie, its an .iso file

windoze should be able to do that ok

Toast titanium can do it sweet.

took me longer to find a cd then it did to download it

hold an F key down init to get the windoze to boot from disk

thanks for the help.

now i got cd issues

i tried to burn it onto a dvd but it said i needed a cd. i found some old blank cds but i think they might be no good.

im gonna admit defeat for tonight and continue tomorrow.

bloomin windoze

i think the iso i downloaded last night had an error. because it failed on every burn and i could not mount the ISO on the working computer. going to re download it again and have another go.

Apart from food shopping and amusing the children and misses today, i have had to have a look at the van. Windscreen wipers stopped working on saturday. Took stuff apart, narrowed it down to the motor. measured motor and other stuff and then they started working again. Done a bit of posting on the VW T4 forum.

Will get back to the windoze chore ina a bit (gonna walk the children first). The ubuntu cd has to be the best solution to see whats working.

I am using the same laptop now. It really is the laptop of bargain bins in the bargain basement. If you Google the model & number you will see. Mine was free with a phone contract 2 years ago so i cant complain too much. I know nothing about computers but its my brother job. He was amazed someone could sell a laptop with such minimal memory and so much bloatware (is that the right saying ?) He wiped the operating system and loaded Windows 7 professional and put additional memory in. Its 2 years old now and some buttons have to be pushed hard whist some are oversensitive. I am just about to buy a new lappy & was going for a Dell. Can any one suggest a model ?

thats interesting slip

if i got this working win7 would be better then.. although i think the bin is the best thing for it.

My cd burning got worse.

i either have knackard old cd and dvd or the dvd drive is ********.

i dont burn things that often, although i have done so in the last few months.

luckily i have an external dvd drive on order already for my new laptop. Then i will see if that works to burn it or if my cd's and dvd's are no good. they are a good few years old.

its gonna drag out all week this

i think the misses has one somewhere. does the acer need to be set to boot from usb or does an F key work.

because as the screen is just black i dont get to see options to get into the bios

Although i am running Win 7 on mine the Acer power thingy doesnt work & a BIG problem is when it hibernates the fan will never kick in after. If you dont notice this after a while you hear the thermal overload click & the laptop crashes. Acer knows this problem & has said they are not interested as it was not designed for Win 7. Mine has now been set not to hibernate. Also the volume keys do not work but thats no problem as you alter that on screen